Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU with Hardware assisted virtualization

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

Per BC recommendations, I am going to buy a new computer and move on from XP. I have several very long manuscripts that were written and typeset in Pagemaker 6.5, which was supported in Windows XP. Microsoft says that most XP supported files will be supported in Windows 7 professional (not Windows 7 home edition and not Windows 8). According to IBM, the CPU has to be capable of Hardware Assisted Virtualization or HAV. There is a downloadable HAV detection tool to see if a cpu has this capability but I would like to know this on the front side before I buy a new computer. IBM implies that their CPU's are better but I don't know if that's true.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to find this out? Has anyone had success using Pagemaker 6.5 with Windows 7?

Thank you. Note: I have moved on to In-Design for more recent manuscripts but am unable to transfer these documents which I still need. Thank you!

Firetooth

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2014 - 02:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

Have you posed the question to Adobe, maybe it is possible to pull the files into a later version.  I believe several of the later boards have virtualization support.  The board I run has, Lucid Virtu™ Universal® MVP GPU virtualization support, will that work in your case?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

Hi Doppeleganger

Thank you for your reply. I investigated the possibility of moving the files to a later version of Adobe and conversed about it on Adobe forums. Unfortunately this did not lead to a solution.

When you mention later boards, I am not sure what you are referring to. Is a board part of a CPU? Or vise versa? I am not very advanced in computer knowledge. Do you happen to know if the virtualization support that you have is equivalent to HAV? Your board sounds quite powerful, perhaps on the expensive side for me. Thanks again.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

I can not answer the HAV question, I like many up like to check out the stuff that is out there.  I run a Gigabyte board, Asus also show virtualization.  It is not only the board but also processor, Intel has several chips that support virtualization.  Seems there are two forms supported, Intel 3570k only supports one type but the Intel 3570 supports both.  Looks like you have a ton of homework, the IBM/Intel chip thing I cannot comment on.

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

Most new computers will support hardware virtuallization... the only reason you would be interested in it in Windows 7 is to run XP Mode... but that is irrelevant because pagemaker will work fine in windows 7 you wouldn't need to install it to the XP Mode virtual machine. I haven't tried to run pagemaker in windows 8... maybe I'll try it just for giggles.

#6 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

Thank you for your further reply, OldPhil, and for yours, AngryRaisin.

Yes I have some homework!

Based your comments, AngryRaisin, I an going to  visit a friend who has a computer in Windows 7 and load in my Pagemaker cd and see what happens. I would be happy to avoid Virtual XP for this any any files I can. I hope you try to run Pagemaker 6.5 in Windows 8 just for giggles. Please let me know what happens if you do it!

Firetooth

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

I loaded Virtual XP and was not pleased with the performance, I did Google 6.5 there are issues yup home work is needed.  You friend may need to go into his BIOS to turn it on, you may want to check out his processor there are a few lists of compatible ones.

#8 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

AngryRaisin: I visited my friend. He has 2 computers with Windows 7. Both are 64 bit, don't know if that made a difference. The pagemaker 6.5 cd would not upload into either one. Could you tell me a little more about your Windows 7 machine? Is it 64 bit or 32 bit? Any special features, etc. Thank you. 

OldPhil--I have been doing some reading about Virtual XP and I am not relishing trying it. 

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

I am running Pro 64 bit.  I did a little Googling on 6.5 looks like you may have a hurdle, there is a ton of discussion on it way to much to read it all but did find the one below. 

http://www.gordonwoolf.com/2009/07/pagemaker-works-in-windows-7.html

Edited by OldPhil, 08 April 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Have you considered using a virtual machine like the free VM from VMware?  I experimented with it briefly a little while ago and tried some old games in it and some seriously old electronics CAD software. The games didn't work very well, but the CAD software flew. And when I say ancient, it was written for Window 3.x. and this was on a 64 bit Win 7 machine.

Essentially, you install the virtual machine as an application in Win 7 and then install XP - or any other OS of your choice - into the VM, then you install the applications you want into XP inside the VM and you are good to go. I found it quite an interesting experience even if I didn't persist with it. I was mainly interested in getting these games to run and I found a simpler way of doing it inside Win 7 and I have a laptop - elderly but serviceable and reliable - that runs the CAD software.

An alternative approach might be to run Linux inside a VM if there is a suitable version of Pagemaker for Linux.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users