Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommended video card for using adobe CS5?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LanceA

LanceA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

Hello,

My old video card died a while back and I'm currently using the onboard video card, but I need to upgrade in order to run CS5. I just wanted to know which video card I'd need (CUDA enabled, preferably) in order to run things like after effects and premiere pro smoothly and quickly. The stats of my desktop are as follows:

Dell Dimension C521 (it's slim, so it'll only take a half-height video card)

1.94 GB RAM

Vista 32-bit (though it's capable of 64-bit)

2 cores

The onboard card is:

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

I suspect I'll get a lot of answers saying "buy a new computer", which I suppose would be fine, but not ideal. I'd also like to do some gaming with this computer.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

To be honest, find another used version of the card that died, or something similar for cheap for now, and save up and get a new computer.

There isn't much gaming that you'll be able to do with 2GB of RAM, Vista, or a Dual core processor these days.

Even upgrading the current setup to the best video card that will fit wont improve performance noticeably.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

You biggest limitation will be requirement for a half-height card. They really don't offer any significantly powerful half-height cards (at least compared to full-sized cards). Beyond that, it is possible that the Dell power supply might be limiting factor.

What kind of card did you have in there before (you post implies that the nVidia 6150 is the integrated on-board card, not the one that died)?

And as noted by the other poster, your current RAM amount will limit you for most things you would want to do with CS5. Frankly, running Vista with only 2 GB of RAM is generally enough to be limiting even before you start running any significant programs. The Service Packs for Vista helped Vista quite a bit, but I generally still like to see a machine running Vista with at least 4 GB of RAM.

#4 LanceA

LanceA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

Yeah, I think I'll just get a new computer. Thanks for the replies. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users