Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacement Vista from EBAY edited - too long

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 malchico

malchico

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

This is legal copy of Vista, but I don't have CD and have missing files ..edit.. lady I got it from doesn't have anything to help me ..edit.. will have to buy a new Vista and the question is - there are many ways to buy programs on EBAY and so many claims and all over the page with different prices. All I need is way to clean up this program and just get 5 or 6 .dll files that are missing..edit..Maybe I don't need them. I would like to know if I can clean this up and use it or go ahead with over a "hunnert dollers" new Vista. By the way when does Vista support run out? By the way #2 - What's supposed to be wrong with Vista? I have always liked it. I think I'm too slow to see the problems. 

Thanks

Malchico

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

Your computer might be a good candidate for Win 7. Provide us with some basic info as to make, model, installed RAM etc.

You could also run the MS Win 7 Upgrade Advisor...http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

If it is, I'd get it over Vista in a heartbeat. Copies of Windows 7 can be purchased for just under a $100.

Support for Vista is set to run out in April 2017. Support for Win 7 runs out in Jan. 2020.

Win 7 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006816&IsNodeId=1&Description=windows%207&name=Operating%20Systems&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

As to why VISTA is good or bad.......That's more a matter of personal experience.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

No, it's bad, I'm using it now :P   Buying Vista in 2014 would be a waste of money, why not buy Windows 7???

#4 malchico

malchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

Your computer might be a good candidate for Win 7. Provide us with some basic info as to make, model, installed RAM etc.

You could also run the MS Win 7 Upgrade Advisor...http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

If it is, I'd get it over Vista in a heartbeat. Copies of Windows 7 can be purchased for just under a $100.

Support for Vista is set to run out in April 2017. Support for Win 7 runs out in Jan. 2020.

Win 7 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006816&IsNodeId=1&Description=windows%207&name=Operating%20Systems&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

It said I can do 32 or 64 bit and Win 7 looks pretty good.  As long as it isn't touch screen I'm OK.

Thanks.

W2*

#5 malchico

malchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

No, it's bad, I'm using it now :P   Buying Vista in 2014 would be a waste of money, why not buy Windows 7???

I think that it a case of "Ignorance is bliss". I always liked it but wasn't into all the stuff you guys know how to do.

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

I think that it a case of "Ignorance is bliss". I always liked it but wasn't into all the stuff you guys know how to do.

If you like Vista, you will like WIn 7 10X more.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 malchico

malchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

When I buy the Win7 I will want it to be the one time I changed a computer over and didn't wind up with a lot of junk that I didn't want and need some advice on how to install it and be able to keep everything I want and copy over only good stuff. THISTIME I will read directions first and keep advice handy to refer to. Never did that before.

W2*

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

you can transfer it to a new pc. Don't end up buying 2 OS.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 malchico

malchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

I have a new 1TB hd in Vista. I want to copy what I want from it and use it to format and install Win7 in the machine.Isn't this what to do?

M

#10 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

I have a new 1TB hd in Vista. I want to copy what I want from it and use it to format and install Win7 in the machine.Isn't this what to do?

M

Yup. Backup your files and then format and install Win 7. Take note that Win 7 32 and 64 bit depends on the RAM of your computer. 2GB RAM can only take 32-bit OS unless it can be expanded to 4GB and up.

Edited by badr0b0t, 09 June 2014 - 06:33 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#11 malchico

malchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

M

Yup. Backup your files and then format and install Win 7. Take note that Win 7 32 and 64 bit depends on the RAM of your computer. 2GB RAM can only take 32-bit OS unless it can be expanded to 4GB and up.

Belarc says 2.3 gigahertz, 3454 megabytes, 128KB and 512KB, Bus clock 201 meg. It is 64 bit ready but the Newegg writeup sounded like someone like me should stick with 32 bit so the install would be simple. Doesn't that sound like I should press on?

#12 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:07 AM

I would recommend 32-bit too. But if you are upgrading your hardware in a year's time,then get the 64-bit.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#13 malchico

malchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

Thanks. I got Win7 installed it, and have been very happy with it. Today I got the notice that Win 10 will be free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users