Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to boot from cd/dvd drive on startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PossumNZ

PossumNZ

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to find which key to press on startup to run a dvd which has a live linux OS.

My laptop is a Compaq CQ45 and I am running Windows 8.1 

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

When you first boot up watch the load screen carefully, you should see what ket to hit for setup.  In setup you will have to move around with the arrow keys, you want to change the boot order from the HD to the CD.  It is not to hard just take your time, when you go to exit make sure it says save changes then exit.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

I believe the F9 key will give you a boot option menu. start pressing F9 after you turn on the machine.   If not you can go into the BIOS with F10 and change your boot options there.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

On many systems F12 key brings up the boot menu.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

Win8 makes getting to the UEFI or BIOS very difficult. You may need to boot normally, then hold SHIFT when selecting Restart in the Power menu. This will give you the Boot/Troubleshoot app. There should be an option to view the UEFI/BIOS there. Once in the UEFI/BIOS you might also need to select "Legacy Boot"  BEFORE changing the boot order, as in some systems unless its selected the boot order is locked and will revert back to its original state when you reboot.

#6 Guest_anon32028_*

Guest_anon32028_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

I couldn't boot from CD when I got my new PC.  The manufacturer's help desk was as helpful as T*TS on a bore hog.  I finally for the answer on my own.  This is for my computer, your's might be slightly different, but it should get you started:

Enable legacy boot:

1.  In Windows, open a command window (as Admin) and enter the following:

"bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy"

You only have to do this, if you recover your computer.

2.  Reboot

3.  Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Computer Setup Utility opens.

4.  Select Security menu

5.  Disable Secure Boot Configuration, then press Enter .

6.  When the warning comes up, it will want to you put in 4 numbers and a key combo.  Put in the numbers and the key it tells you to use

7.  Reboot.

8.  Now, you should be able to get things going.  On my computer, I then press ESC during boot, then select the CD drive.

9.  Unless you rebuild/recover your computer, step 1 won't be needed, nor the rest of the steps.

This worked on my PC.

To reverse step 1:

1.  Open an elevated command prompt (administrator).
2.  Enter the command (no quotes): "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard"
3.  Press enter.
4.  Now you're back to the way it was when you got it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users