Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio PCG-505TR Power Problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Anuextreme23

Anuextreme23

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a Sony Vaio PCG-505TR with a 300mhz Pentium and Windows 98 in a lot. The computer is in overall good cosmetic condition without anything missing. However, the computer will not turn on when I use my Targus APA68US. The other computer in the lot, a Fujitsu Lifebook 735Dx works fine with this power adapter. The only differnece is that the Fujitsu Lifebook is DC 16V 2.7A, while the Vaio is 16V 2.0A. Can someone help me, I had a similar Vaio back in the day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

The fact that the Sony needs less power indicates that the output of the AC adapter should do the job.

Try it without the battery too.

There are several things to look at. Make sure that the plug has the correct size. Both the outside and the hole in the center.

Look and see if there is a power light that lights when the Power is applied to it. There is usually a DC in indicator as well as a power light that comes on when the power button is lit.

Probably on the right front.

User manual here. https://docs.sony.com/release/PCG505TR.PDF

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Anuextreme23

Anuextreme23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

Thank You rotor123, I tried the adapter alone without the battery the machine did a harddrive spinning noise that is very quiet. When I put in the cracked the battery it gives a blinking orange light. Nothing happens, is this a motherboard faliure or a power adpter issue? I found a power adpater on eBay. Thanks.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

I hate to say this but the fact that You are feeding it the proper voltage and You seem to hear a noise once You remove the battery and turn it on, In my mind that eliminates the AC adapter and puts the fault inside the computer. I suspect that buying a AC adapter for it would be a waste of money.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Anuextreme23

Anuextreme23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

Thanks Roger, How about a new battery, since this one is cracked? Is it a mobo issue?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

It should turn on and run off of the AC Adapter with no battery. If that is not happening it is not the battery and a new battery will not help.

The fact that the battery is cracked is a warning that something is wrong. Either the battery went bad in a way to crack it or the laptop suffered a hard impact or ???

If it is getting power and does not turn on with the battery removed it is not a good sign and I would suspect internal hardware to be at fault.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 Anuextreme23

Anuextreme23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

Thanks, Roger. I will find a motherboard for this machine. Can you help me disassemble it? Thanks.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

You need to find the Service manual online or with any luck a how to disassemble video on YouTube. Are You sure it is worth the trouble? 300Mhz Pentium  CPU. Are You sure the screen is good and all the rest of the hardware? Since it does not turn on I see no way to tell if the rest of the computer is good.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 Anuextreme23

Anuextreme23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

rotor123, I force removed the bezel and broke it and go into it. It is a clear motherboard faliure becuase a small circuit fell off the motherboard when I removed it. I found one on eBay for parts and the motherboard is good, so I can replace it. Thanks rotor123, you may remove or close this thread.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Did You read the eBay ad closely?

It isn't this one is it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Notebook-computer-PCG-505TR-PCGA-FD5-PCGA-PR5-177220771-PCGA-AC51-parts-/230958978956

I hope not as I would bet that one is also dead from reading the description. $100 for that one and not working, Sheesh!

Did You get all the accessories with the one You got?

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 Anuextreme23

Anuextreme23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

No accessories, like I said it was in a lot. I wish I had the acessories. No, the link is http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-VAIO-PCG-505TR-BOTTOM-BASE-LID-BEZEL-PALMREST-/151071542317?pt=US_Laptop_Housings_Touchpads&hash=item232c90cc2d. If you look on the last picture, there is the mobo.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hi

I may be blind but I do not see a Motherboard. I would no expect anything but what the description shows.

SONY VAIO PCG-505TR

BOTTOM BASE, LID, BEZEL & PALMREST

SIGNS OF WEAR ON LID & BOTTOM.

ANY OTHER COMPONENTS PICTURED OR INCLUDED INTERNALLY ARE NOT TESTED AND NOT GUARANTEED.

ITEM PICTURED MAY NOT BE THE EXACT ONE SENT. COSMETIC CONDITION MAY VARY SLIGHTLY.

I would send a feedback asking

I also expect that only the plastic parts would come and any electronic parts to not work since it says "ANY OTHER COMPONENTS PICTURED OR INCLUDED INTERNALLY ARE NOT TESTED AND NOT GUARANTEED."

This is my problem with eBay. Many of the sellers seem to know how to say something in a manner that means something different.

Ask before buying.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users