Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Graphics Damage

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 oneroundko

oneroundko

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

Can someone tell me what this might be (I think it's an internal hardware issue) because I woke up the other day and it was like this. I don't know if I stepped on it or spilled some liquid on it or what: 

Attached File  001.JPG   231.5KB   0 downloads

I just spent $450 on this ASUS and really can't afford a new one. I would be truly and entirely grateful to anyone who can help. 

:blush:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

Hi,

My first guess would be that the screen is damaged. My next guess would be that it will require replacement to fix the problem.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hi

As dicke said the screen is broken.

I can Confirm that the screen is damaged. The Black spot to the lower left is most likely the Liquid from the Liquid Crystal Display. The only difference between the LED and Non LED is in the backlight BTW.

The only fix for that is a replacement screen I am sorry to have to tell You.

Usual causes for that are dropping the laptop, Closing the screen with something under it or as You guessed stepping on it. Water damage would not display like that. What You are seeing is one or more of the glass layers that make up the Screen is broken.

If I had to guess, Parts will be in the $70 to $100 range in US Dollars. You may be able to find a YouTube Video on changing the screen.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 oneroundko

oneroundko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the posts very much. As far as the screen goes, are you guys referring the entire lid opening unit (back black cover as well) or just perhaps parts internally? I can see that I can pop off the screen and black border facing me when open, and wonder if maybe I can get in there and get the damaged part(s)? 

I've taken a couple laptops apart before (a Compaq and a Dell) and know that the lid is just conected to the bulk of the unit (base - mother board and "guts") and that it's really like perhaps a few connecting points if I did some how secure another lid or opening portion of the unit? 

Any thoughts on this? 

Edited by oneroundko, 06 April 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,734 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

It is a fairly easy job only the lid needs to be opened (taken apart) ..   Go on Youtube there are a ton of videos on how to do it, screens are pretty cheap the job takes about 30-45 minutes.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 oneroundko

oneroundko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

Thanks. I'll definitely check for that. Can I find them cheap on the 'Bay or is purchasing a new one easy to do and fairly decent in the price point? 

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,734 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

90% sure you will find a new replacement, deal with vendors that have 99+ ratings.  I buy a fair bit and have not been bitten yet!

#8 oneroundko

oneroundko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Thanks! 

Just purchased one on this site that sells LCD screens. Also found a pretty straight-forward vid. Now I just cross my fingers and throw a prayer that I dissemble, install correctly, and I'm back to normal.

Regards.  

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,734 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

I have done a few and yes I have broken a tab or two, just take your time it is not a bad job.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hi

One quick warning. be careful, Where the flat video ribbon attaches to the screen is delicate. Make sure You examine the old setup carefully before unhooking. Most of them will have a clear tape that locks the cable. Be sure to use something larger over the old one as they do not always stick real good after being disconnected. The LCD is a little sturdier than the LED connectors.

When dealing with laptops extreme patience is a virtue. Even after working for many years in computer repair and in a Authorized Service provider for two brands of computers and changing many different parts, Motherboards, Screens etc. I still preferred to be slow and look before doing. Many of the connectors in laptops are easily damaged.

It can be done. What works pretty good for a tool set is a small flat screwdriver, Small set of Crosspoint AKA Phillips head screwdrivers, Single edge razor to help lift the edge of any tape holding connectors together and a Large Tweezers.

I used to have a set of small Snap-On screwdrivers that were a good size and durable.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 07 April 2014 - 12:43 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

Please do follow Roger's advice. Also a certified laptop tech and cannot agree more.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#12 oneroundko

oneroundko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hi

One quick warning. be careful, Where the flat video ribbon attaches to the screen is delicate. Make sure You examine the old setup carefully before unhooking. Most of them will have a clear tape that locks the cable. Be sure to use something larger over the old one as they do not always stick real good after being disconnected. The LCD is a little sturdier than the LED connectors.

When dealing with laptops extreme patience is a virtue. Even after working for many years in computer repair and in a Authorized Service provider for two brands of computers and changing many different parts, Motherboards, Screens etc. I still preferred to be slow and look before doing. Many of the connectors in laptops are easily damaged.

It can be done. What works pretty good for a tool set is a small flat screwdriver, Small set of Crosspoint AKA Phillips head screwdrivers, Single edge razor to help lift the edge of any tape holding connectors together and a Large Tweezers.

I used to have a set of small Snap-On screwdrivers that were a good size and durable.

Good Luck

Roger

Indeed I Have learned the hard way having taken apart about three (maybe 4?) laptops. I've definitely screwed up before and understand how vital it is that tedious detail and care be taken when dealing with these machines. 

This is the video I found: 

I don't know, I might call around to small local guys-dealers that may be more adept at doing this. It might be worth it just to kick out the extra whatever dollars to have someone more experienced doing this. 

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

I suggest looking for a tutorial for Your make and Model. There are even some that have no screws holding the Bezel on. It is important to follow the proper directions. I noticed that the screen being replaced was a LCD and not a LED. Their is not inverter in a LED and the Video cable connector is a different shape and location.

If I'm not being nosy, what is the Model of the laptop?

Thank You

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 oneroundko

oneroundko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

No, no! Not being nosy. I'm very happy you're taking interest in my questions. 

The make and model is a ASUS 15.6" K53E-BBR19 with Intel Core i5-2450M Processor and Windows 7 Home Premium. 

Feel free to let me know any info that might be of benefit for me. 

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

I did find this screen replacement video that is supposed to be exact for the K53

k53e laptop screen

http://www.helpowl.com/video_player.php?yid=l5JYd&type=pvid&id=156541

This link covers most (all) parts replacement for Your Model. it leads to a page that has the above link on it FYI.

Be very careful since this a LED screen the video connector is small and delicate. It is easy to damage it when connecting it.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 April 2014 - 12:04 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users