Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network adapter is gone after Install of Win7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Requiem7

Requiem7

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hi,

I just did a full install of Win7 Prof. to my Alienware area 51 7500 desktop computer but now I'm unable to connect to the internet.  When I go to the Device manger there is no "Network Adapter listed at all. I went from WinXp 32bit to Win7 32bit   Can anyone help me? 

Here is my system stats Alienware Area 51 7500

AREA-51 7500-R4   1 |  FULL-TOWER BLACK CASE 2.0B   1 |  EVGA NFORCE 680I SLI MB   1 |  D- CORE 2 DUO 2.13GHZ E6400 2M CACHE 1066MHZ   2 |  PDP 512MB LOW LATENCY PC-6400 AW95   1 |  SEAGATE 250GB SATA 3G 7200RPM 8MB CACHE NCQ   1 |  NEC 18X DUAL LAYER DVD±R/W RAM RECORDER   1 |  INTEGRATED HIGH-DEF AUDIO NVIDIA C55-MB   1 |  EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 7950 GT 512MB PCIE   1 |  MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP MCE 2005 COA   1 |  ALIENGUISE XENOMORPH   1 |  CYBERLINK POWER DVD 7   1 |  OWNER IDENTIFICATION CARD   1 |  WINDOWS VISTA CAPABLE LOGO   1 |  AVC PENTIUM 4 DUAL CORE HSF Z9H741K001   1 |  ALIENWARE MAIN BOARD RGB REV 4   1 |  CONTROL ELC DIP CARD   1 |  GX2 G80 DUAL SLOT CARD KEEPER   1 |  700 WATT OEM ATX PSU REV2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

Can you go to the manufacturers website on another computer and burn the network driver to disc and then install it onto your computer?

If not borrow or purchase a USB Network Adapter. That will get you connected to the internet

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

It probably be easier to just purchase a wifi adapter. You can purchase a Rosewill wifi adapter for $13.99 with free shipping at Newegg.  One of the advantages is that the adapter will come with the proper drivers on a CD.

Something you should have done first, if in fact you didn't, was to use Microsoft's Upgrade Assistant.  It isn't to late to run this, it will at least tell you what needs to be changed and may even make suggestions for doing so.

Edited by dc3, 06 April 2014 - 01:50 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

It probably be easier to just purchase a wifi adapter. You can purchase a Rosewill wifi adapter for $13.99 with free shipping at Newegg.  One of the advantages is that the adapter will come with the proper drivers on a CD.

Something you should have done first, if in fact you didn't, was to use Microsoft's Upgrade Assistant.  It isn't to late to run this, it will at least tell you what needs to be changed and may even make suggestions for doing so.

I did use the upgrade assistant and the only problem I had was with my printer and even with that it was easy to fix.   I did find the drives I needed but for some reason when I install it says it already there but it not showing in the device manger.  So I will just get the wireless adapter.  Less headache then trying to make this work. 

Thank you all for your help. 

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

The mainboard is reported to be an nVidia 680i SLI based board, so if you can obtain and install the chipset drivers you should be OK:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_680i_winxp32_intel_9.53.html

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:36 AM

BIOS Setup have an setting for make onboard LAN card Enable / Disable it, please check that setting was Enable :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

BIOS Setup have an setting for make onboard LAN card Enable / Disable it, please check that setting was Enable :wink:

When I go into the bio which option do I go under? I was in there last night and I don't recall seeing it.
Thanks

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

When you install the wireless USB network adapter, afterward hard wire it, run all the important Windows Updates and check the Optional updates. Even though the computer reports its already there, it probably needs the Windows Updates to get everything together. Then you should be able to connect either wired or wirelessly. It's worked for me. Good luck

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

I second Playpus's suggestion of the chipset driver. His link is for XP. I believe you should download the Win7 32bit version. Ethernet on a Nvidia MB will not show up in Device Manager if the chipset driver is not installed.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/30654/en-us

• Ethernet Driver (v73.30) WHQL
  • Network Management Tools (v73.25) "Sedona"
  • SATAIDE Driver (v11.1.0.43) WHQL
  • SATARAID Driver (v11.1.0.43) WHQL
  • RAIDTOOL Application (v11.1.0.43)
  • SMBUS Driver (v4.79) WHQL
  • SMU Driver (v2.08) WHQL
  • Installer (v8.36)

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

I second Playpus's suggestion of the chipset driver. His link is for XP.

Not sure how that happened! Thanks for noticing and correcting. :)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Well, guys so far the network adapter has not come back.  Win7 has been install and all updated and I did reinstall nivda adapters but the computer is just not reading them but the wireless adapter is working great and everything just seem fine.  I'm curious to know why the computer is not reading them but that may remain a mystery. 

Thank you all for your help! 

Phillip

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

It sounds like the issues are

You can connect to the internet with the wireless adapter but cannot connect to the internet with the wireless adapter removed

--- Is this true?

On the NVidia adapter for your EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 7950 GT 512MB PCIE, is it working ok and the issue is it doesn't appear in Device Manager? 

--- What does appear in Device Manager?

I know you have reinstalled NVidia adapters but the computer isn't reading them 

--- You can go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers to auto detect your GPU

--- I didn't notice whether or not the auto detect showed up automatically as I clicked on Windows 7 32-bit too quickly, but try it out

You can also consider resetting the PCIe card just in case it matters. It probably doesn't but when all else fails, it's worth trying

Edit: BTW, was the EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 7950 GT 512MB PCIE being used when you were running XP Pro?

Edited by cmptrgy, 13 April 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#13 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

It sounds like the issues are

You can connect to the internet with the wireless adapter but cannot connect to the internet with the wireless adapter removed

--- Is this true?

On the NVidia adapter for your EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 7950 GT 512MB PCIE, is it working ok and the issue is it doesn't appear in Device Manager? 

--- What does appear in Device Manager?

I know you have reinstalled NVidia adapters but the computer isn't reading them 

--- You can go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers to auto detect your GPU

--- I didn't notice whether or not the auto detect showed up automatically as I clicked on Windows 7 32-bit too quickly, but try it out

You can also consider resetting the PCIe card just in case it matters. It probably doesn't but when all else fails, it's worth trying

Edit: BTW, was the EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 7950 GT 512MB PCIE being used when you were running XP Pro?

Yes I can connect to the net via the linkys AE1200 network adapter.

No  EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 7950 GT 512MB PCIE is not working it is not appearing n the device manger.

Linkys AE1200 network adapter wirless  is appearing in the device manger.

When I go to the link you have above the auto detect states this: 

nForce 680i LT SLI(C55P)

A driver cannot be found for this device

How do you rest the PCIe? 

Edited by Requiem7, 14 April 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

"You can also consider resetting the PCIe card just in case it matters"

--- I should have said reseating

--- There are times I like to remove a part and then placing back into position.. Make sure the metal clip is properly seated,  ensure the card "snaps" into place. When there is an end connector, make sure that "snaps" into place also.

Do you have the disc for your EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 7950 GT 512MB graphics card?

--- Did it work ok on your XP OS?

This driver website indicates they have a driver for Nvidia nForce 680i LT SLI drivers for Windows XP (64-bit), Windows XP, Windows Vista (64-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit) http://www.driver-index.com/nvidia-graphics-cards/680i-lt-sli.html

--- I haven't had to use a driver site yet but it probably could be worth your while to check it out

How old is your graphics card?

--- Most websites I've checked indicated it was designed for Windows 2000 & XP

Before you upgraded to Win7, did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

--- If so, what did it report on your nForce 680i LT SLI(C55P) graphics card?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users