Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Shows Black Screen After Login

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StoneRanger

StoneRanger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hi BleepingComputer, long time reader, first time caller.

This is my first time troubleshooting a Windows 8 machine. I have a Lenovo G500 here with Windows 8. After I log into Windows, the screen goes black with only a movable white cursor.

Fortunately, I can Ctrl+Alt+Del and pull up Task Manager from here. I can open up Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, etc.. With an Ethernet cable, I can access the Internet. However, I cannot get the desktop or Windows taskbar running.

From a half hour of Googling, the only real solution I've seen is to uninstall the graphics driver through Safe Mode. I removed the Intel® HD Graphics 4000 driver and only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter remains. Nothing came from that.

Anyone have a solution, or other troubleshooting steps I could go through, for this? This is not my machine, so I couldn't tell you what could have been installed to cause this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 StoneRanger

StoneRanger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

Got it. There was a program called Pokki Start Menu that was installed almost a week ago. I uninstalled it and it fixed the problem.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Was in the process of typing a reply, but am glad that you found & fixed the issue.

3rd party apps doesn't always play well with Windows 8. Or it could have been configured incorrectly.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users