Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD and I can't even get pc to start up....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrmojosr

mrmojosr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Hello everybody - Nice to be here, but ... sorry to have to be here !

I have a fairly new, 1 year old desk top, Acer Aspire. The only info I can get right now is off the sticker on the side:

Acer Aspire - AM3470-UC30P / Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit / AMD Quad Core A8-3800 APU w/ Radeon HD 6550D graphics / 6 GB DDR3 mem / 1 TB HD / DVD-Super Multi Drive / wireless LAN / Multi-in-1 media card reader. I'll look for the papers on it while I send this out.

I wasn't using it too much since I am disabled and require a lot of stupid bed rest, unable to sit up too long at a desktop; but my family and their  un-knowledgeable pc friends have had complete access to it. I think they were shutting it down either before it could update and/or during the updates..UGH!

I've always had Internet Access - Comcast cable and they gave me full Nortons Security Suite coverage for virus, malware, etc.

Okay long story shorter - now I can't even get it to turn on without the BSOD popping up stating :

System Service Exception - If this is the first time...yada-yada; Technical info : *** STOP: 0x0000003B (0x00000000c0000005, 0xFFFF96000185262, 0xFFFF8800B16D2C0, 0x0000000000000000)

*** win32k.sys - address FFFFF9600000185262 base at FFFFF960000c0000, DateStamp 4df2dbd1

Collecting Data for crash dump ... Initializing disk for Crash Dump ... Beginning Dump of Physical Memory. Dumping Physical Memory to disk : (counts up to) 100 . Physical Memory dump complete. 

Then at first (couple days of trying things) it would jump to Windows Error Recovery Screen with normal choices and the count down to choose or enter Windows normally, but ...

then the BSOD ending added - "Contact your System Administrator or Tech Support Group for assistance.....

Then after another day of the starting/stopping cold and/or cntrl/alt/del , or ESC, etc., etc., the BSOD froze after the count down and the ONLY option I NOW have is to COLD stop it by "holding the power button down".

I also noticed that if after the cold shutdown (or is it called hot?) I unplugged it to make sure it was getting a clean fresh start , and when I plugged it back in ... it started up by itself, as if I pushed the power button. Is that normal?

PLEASE, someone get back to me ASAP. This is driving me crazy (since I used to be able to unravel friends pc's that were swamped with virus and malware like crazy, etc.;usually 9.5 / 10 times I could solve their problems; no matter what the issue, I could either find the answer or just be fast enough to get ahead of it).

I'm sure I need to answer a bunch of other questions you might have first. I'll do my best to answer them without access to this pc, like I said.

I have tested the memory with 2 passes, no problems; done the dskchk and same, no problems ... and other little things I can't recall at the moment but will with your Q's.

Thanks in advance just for letting me in and reading this...

mrmojosr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

Hi,

Any chance you have the installation disk and can just make a fresh start? I'm reasonably sure that with a lot of time and effort it may be possible to recover from what happened [which I don't even want to guess at]. The security software is free from your ISP [Comcast] so that won't be a problem to replace once you have reloaded the operating system.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 mrmojosr

mrmojosr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

When I bought the system, the disks didn't come with it. Is this something I could download or get from somewhere or someone?

I did make something called a "System Repair Disk"  (1); and an 8 disk set called "System Image Disks" , but in either case I'm not sure how to go about using them, and in what order ???

Are these something that might help me out? Would you please let me know how to use them?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

I'd try the system repair disk first to see if that will recover the system.

If not, then the system image disks should place everything that was on the system when you received it back on the system.

Using the image disks will delete everything that is on the system now, which makes no difference if you can't access it. Just a point that you will have to reinstall those applications you installed after you got the system.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

The Acer system/owner manual...should detail the significance of the disks and how to use such.

IF not, then the Acer website should.

Louis

#6 mrmojosr

mrmojosr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Thank you for that . I will have to look into it asap. Right now I have to stop and take care of a pressing matter that is due by the 15th....LOL.

But please, if anyone has a similar problem and a good fix for me, (not the 15th problem), let me know and I'll definitely look into each and every one until I get the pc fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users