Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is hopeless

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vikana

Vikana

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Hello all. Vikana here.

My Windows 8 laptop has been having a lot of problems for quite a while (I only found this site yesterday):

-My touchpad doesn't work.

-I can't connect to many websites even when I'm less than a yard away from the router.

-I thought the second problem was due to the MoneyPak Virus (I saw the fake FBI screen), so I got malwarebytes and cleaned my computer, but I'm still having connection problems.

-the brightness automatically changes (and hurts my eyes in the process) on its own.

-whenever I type something in the address bar, it sends me to Yahoo, but I deleted the toolbar

-I can't go to "safe mode with networking"

Sites I can't connect to:

-Google

-Minecraft (I can't even play the game)

-Paypal

-fixpcyourself

And sometimes I can't connect to any websites at all. Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Vikana

Vikana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

I just checked. There's no quarantined items on the list.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

My Windows 8 laptop has been having a lot of problems for quite a while

Is your recovery partition intact? Or do you have reinstall media, either the 3 to 5 DVD set or USB Flash drive recovery media? The latter would likely require a 16GB Flash drive.

If so, backup your data, make sure you have installers to all of your optional software & updated drivers, as well as any needed keys for activation. It would be best to image the computer, just in case. Then go for the reinstall, It will reload the OS to out of the box condition. Once you reinstall & update, create a backup then, as it'll give you a nice, fresh image to revert to when needed.

Had this been a sudden condition, I'd say go for a fix, but if it's been "quite a while", then it would be best to start fresh, as any System Restore points that may get you back may be gone by now, depending on how long it's been.

Plus Windows 8 has nowhere near the amount of updates that Windows 7 does, this saves a lot of time.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

I just checked. There's no quarantined items on the list

Did you restart the computer after running Malwarebytes?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Vikana

Vikana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

I just checked. There's no quarantined items on the list

Did you restart the computer after running Malwarebytes?

Yes. I was told that after my computer had finished restarting, I would receive a set of instructions from Malwarebytes, but I didn't. Would this have contributed to the problem?

#7 Vikana

Vikana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

My Windows 8 laptop has been having a lot of problems for quite a while

Is your recovery partition intact? Or do you have reinstall media, either the 3 to 5 DVD set or USB Flash drive recovery media? The latter would likely require a 16GB Flash drive.

If so, backup your data, make sure you have installers to all of your optional software & updated drivers, as well as any needed keys for activation. It would be best to image the computer, just in case. Then go for the reinstall, It will reload the OS to out of the box condition. Once you reinstall & update, create a backup then, as it'll give you a nice, fresh image to revert to when needed.

Had this been a sudden condition, I'd say go for a fix, but if it's been "quite a while", then it would be best to start fresh, as any System Restore points that may get you back may be gone by now, depending on how long it's been.

Plus Windows 8 has nowhere near the amount of updates that Windows 7 does, this saves a lot of time.

Cat

I'll try that and let you know the results when it's done. Are there step-by-step instructions you could give me as to how to backup my data (much appreciated if you can)?

#8 mrmojosr

mrmojosr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hi Vikana - Sorry to hear about your laptop. My desktop has a Blue Screen issue. As far as your connection issue; who is your service provider and can you reset the router? Do a power down, unplug it, wait a minute and power it back up and let it reset itself. I have Comcast and I used to have real bad connection problems; this was one thing they had me try, since it is a simple fix. (Always try the simple fix first). Also, I used to have a connection issue when I lived in a building that had a giant metal main I-beam in the structure that interfered with it, until Comcast came out and boosted my signal strength. You can ask your provider to come out and check it too. Could be an outside wire that's been chewed on by a critter (Had that happen to me too, squirrels). Connection problems can be a wide variety of issues, but you first have to make sure your Service Provider isn't falling behind in there service. They usually come out for free and check everything for you; up to the laptop, then they shuffle you off to the Windows people.

Hope this is something for you to start with; it's easy enough... Good Luck  :tophat: .

P.S. - Look on the bright side - you live in Arizona - nice!

Edited by mrmojosr, 06 April 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

I'll try that and let you know the results when it's done. Are there step-by-step instructions you could give me as to how to backup my data (much appreciated if you can)?

Instructions as to brands varies as to reinstall, this documentation should have been included with your computer. Or is available online at the OEM's site.

Backing up data is easy. Most things can be copied (drag & drop) to an external drive, or a USB Flash drive. If you're using Windows 8 signed into the OS, your IE bookmarks will be there for you, as well as the items you chose from the Windows Store.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users