Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deciding on AV program

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smoke070

smoke070

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

hello all, i am currently looking into a paid antivirus program for my pc. i've done plenty of virus cleanouts here at my job and we recommend and install kaspersky for our customers but since the newest version i haven't been satisfied with the program, and i am seeing a lot of pcs coming back with virus issues even with kaspersky so now i am looking into something different.

after reviewing the latest av comparatives (av-test.org) i'm interested in eset smart security or bitdefender internet security. i was considering trend micro but it is very lacking in options and a bit too simplistic for me, not a fan. i'm running a trial of bitdefender at the moment and it seems perfectly fine but people really seem to hate on it for one reason or another. eset smart security i haven't particularly heard bad things about but it seems their detection rates aren't quite as good. i'll test it later if they have a trial.

if the issue with bitdefender is that it's "heavier" but has better detection rates doesn't bother me honestly. another option that could work is malwarebytes premium, but it doesn't seem particularly user friendly and lacks some of the nicer features of the bigger programs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

another option that could work is malwarebytes premium, but it doesn't seem particularly user friendly and lacks some of the nicer features of the bigger programs.

Malwarebytes Premium is NOT an antivirus.

Posted by Quietman7 yesterday http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528645/malwarebytes-20-discussion-topic/page-2#entry3335078

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

Thus, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware program...together they provide the most comprehensive protection.

Having said that, I use Eset Smart Security. It does its job and doesn't bog down the 5 systems I have it installed on.

I'm not a big fan of what "THEY" say about the various products. I try something and make up my own mind. Eset has never let me down, despite what "THEY" say about detection rates.

Eset does have a trial. If you use it, make sure to check the option for Enable protection against potentially unwanted programs.
This is my favorite feature of Eset.

Take time to read this, also by Quietman7
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 April 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

...after reviewing the latest av comparatives (av-test.org) i'm interested in eset smart security or bitdefender internet security...

There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

With that said, I agree with Queen-Evie....Eset Smart Security is the way to go, if you're looking for a quality paid for anti-virus which is not a resource hog.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users