Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permission problems/access denied and a big mess

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xKyler

xKyler

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

HI there! I am new to this website and so ask forgiveness for any mistakes I do make.

I'm running a windows 7 home basic 64-bit system on a laptop and have had it for about 2 years now, evverything has been working perfectly fine, up until yesterday where all of a sudden, I couldn't access my files and it wouldn't allow me to intall new programs where it loads up an error saying ''Unable to write file, access denied error code 5'', also it wouldn't allow me to open any of my files, saying I do not have the correct permissions to access these folders although I'm using the administrator account (which is the only one on this laptop). My antivirus [AVG 2013] does not open up anymore for some reason and cannot be uninstalled, I had two other ''pc-friendly'' programs which worked alongside AVG perfect, Advanced system care 7 and Baidu PCFaster, both of them were deleted I think, I can not open them and I tried re-installing both, got the ''Cannot write file'' error. That about sums up the mess I'm in, appreciate your help a lot!

Edited by hamluis, 07 April 2014 - 11:43 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

By far the simplest fix is to use System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when everything when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

Video: Fixing a problem using System Restore

#3 xKyler

xKyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

OH, I have actuaally tried to do that but this error pops up :

Thanks for your response!

Attached Files

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

If your computer won't start Windows at all, you can access Startup Repair and other tools in the System Recovery Options menu from the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive. These tools can help you get Windows 7 running again.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/start-your-computer-from-a-windows-7-installation-disc-or-usb-flash-drive

#5 xKyler

xKyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

The computer does start up, I would not like to go into the BIOS settings since it wouldn't access the Windows 7 installation disc on its own, and making a mistake there may stop the computer from booting up entirely, as said on the link you have provided. Basically, the computer starts up but as I've said, I cannot install any new programs, I can't uninstall AVG even though it's not working at all, many files are unaccessible giving a ''permissions'' error.

#6 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Unfortunately there is no simple, magic "Fix" button. If neither System Restore or Windows Repair are options, you could try restoring an earlier system image or backup. If that's not an option either, kick yourself -- you missed the easy solutions. You're now left with digging through gadzillions of settings.

#7 xKyler

xKyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

Haven't found a way to exactly fix it yet but yeah, digging through the settings, sorry for this coming late but thanks a lot for your help!

#8 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

Download, install update and run Malwarebytes (free version).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users