Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Enviroment Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Greg63

Greg63

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:54 PM

I just installed a new Western Digital hard drive on my Pavilion 510N.When i installed all 7 of my recovery disks it gives me a "system enviroment is incomplete" error? Is this related to my new hard drive or is this a problem with my recovery disks.The thing is all my disks seem to work without any errors.I have tried about 10 times now withe the same message stated above.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 printboy67

printboy67

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:18 PM

Congrats on the new drive, couple of quick questions. Did you add the drive as a new one or as a slave drive? Or did you add the new drive as the slave? The back of the drive jumpers need to be set correctly. On the label of the drive will show how the jumpers should be set according to how the drive is to be used. Cable select, master or slave. If they are not set correctly you'll have the problem you are describing.

Good Luck
Printboy67 :thumbsup:

#3 Greg63

Greg63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Printboy,
This is my master and only hard drive.I thought it was ok because my bios was reading it but keep on having same problem.

#4 printboy67

printboy67

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:01 PM

:thumbsup:
Well, this seems to be beyond me. The only other thing that I could say is try to load your os only, if you have a copy of XP try to just load the OS and go from there. Other than that I am at a loss.

Good Luck

Printboy67 :flowers:

#5 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:38 PM

You mentioned that you installed all seven of your recovery disks - by this do you mean that you made a ghost or backup of your original HDD and installed it on your your new WD HDD hoping to boot up as normal?
If the answer is Yes, then the problem is simple (I think). When you have backed up your original drive, the drivers which were assigned to the HDD were also backed up, and as such are not the same drivers as what would be used (or assigned automatically by Windows) for your new HDD.
In theory, if you had replaced your old HDD with a new one which was identical (brand, specs, etc), then there would be no dramas. However, because it is different, thus you now have an environment error. But, alas, I am no pro so it is just a guess from what has happened to me in the past with using ghosting software.
How to fix it? Not sure! Sorry....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

Sorry, I just read your post properly - I take it the error occured WHILE you were installing your recovery? If so, then the problem is that the recovery (if it is and image or ghost recovery) is specific to a HDD of exactly the same size - any differences and it wont work. Would I be right in saying your new HDD is a different size to your old one?

And as printboy says, if you installed your OS only, you would find it will probably work. :thumbsup:

Edited by JPHarvey, 18 May 2006 - 09:43 PM.

[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#7 Greg63

Greg63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

Yes my Hard drive is a different size and make.I couldnt back up my old because it crashed before i had a chance to.My computer didnt come with Windows XP so i just tryed to use my recovery disks.The computer is only 2 years old.Like i was saying before i tried to load my disks and when there all done laoding i still get the enviroment error.

Thanks for the Help.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:13 AM

Errrrr....sorry to interrupt, but I've had a similar problem.

Greg63, you said that you installed from 7 CD's to install your OS. My guess is that you had to make a back up of your OS from a partition on the original hard drive. I've had to do the same thing, and ran into the same problem.

You can try to contact the company, but, if you're having to replace the HDD due to failure, you're not under warranty, and they may charge you to help you.......and chances are they may not be able to help you.

They create that partition, and make it so stinkin' picky that it'll only go back on a drive of the same size (sometimes only a drive of the same manufacturer too!). This is what screws the consumer.

I upgraded from a 40gb samsung that came with an HP that had the OS installed on a partition on the drive, to a 200gb WD. I couldn't get the OS to install. It kept telling me that the computer was not a HP machine, and that the OS would only work on an HP machine. Grrrrrrrr..... :thumbsup:

The only way I soved it was to buy another OS ($90 at Walmart) and install that. It's been a few years, but I believe that everything went smoothly with the new OS.

EDIT: I believe that you're getting the enviroment error due to the fact that you've changed something (the size of the hard drive). It's different that what the computer was originally shipped with, so what might be happening is that the OS knows that it's not the same equipment as what came from the manufacturer, so it might not be letting you install the OS.
Hope this helps!

Edited by stevealmighty, 22 May 2006 - 08:16 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 Greg63

Greg63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:52 PM

Thanks Stevealmighty and everyone else that has helped.I guess its time for me to run to Best Buy and buy windows XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users