Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows gone haywire

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Perseveyor

Perseveyor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

I downloaded regcure pro trial to sweep my computer yesterday and it launches every time i start my computer as soon as i log on its there scanning and everything is disappearing and reappearing like every second, i managed to get to task manager and tried various things like i downloaded combofixer but i cant disable norton for some reason, norton wont even launch (no idea as to why?) and i cant end task(norton) in task manager. I am stuck and looking for any ideas and suggestions as to what this could be and where it came from possibly from an email? And how i can rid of this, all advice appreciated thank you.

P.S. i changed boot options to (startup selection) to Diagnostic startup and the constant disappearing and reappearing has stopped, now on to fixing this problem....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

By far the simplest fix is to use System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when everything when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Can you boot normally into Windows now?

If you can uninstall the regcure and cross your finger that it didn't do anything to your registry.

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

dc3 makes some strong points there, most registry cleaners does more harm than good. So does many of the all-in-one utilities that "fixes" everything with one click.

I learned this years ago, using ASC on my XP Media Center install, which was new at the time. Had just removed the bundled junk & installed a version of ASC that was gifted to me. Turned out that gift was a curse, as it torched the install, leaving it unbootable. Fortunately, I had a backup taken after the junk software was removed, so was able to revert in minutes.

As for ASC (& similar software), I never used it software again & don't recommend it to anyone. Any unused, obsolete registry entries poses no harm, as these are left behind when installing, uninstalling or updating software. The only way that a registry key will cause problems with performance is if infected with malware. I use Malwarebytes Pro to hunt down & quarantine any such affected entries.

The best registry cleaner is none.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users