Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk stuck at stage 4 of 5

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JeffESniperMLG

JeffESniperMLG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:12 AM

Recently, my laptop (samsung np-rf510 s01) was giving STOP code 0x7a errors 4 days in a row. It all happened when i got mad when playing TF2 so i hit it hard with a fist, directly where the HDD is located. It froze up and all that i could do is force shutdown. From that point when it went on Starting windows, the shiny logo didnt appear. I tried safe mode, but to no avail. I remember it did stop at hal.dll then BSOD with STOP code 0x7a. Afterwards i tried Samsung recovery, i picked system file recovery and it was done in a few minutes. Now it said hal.dll is corrupt or missing. All i was left with is either nuke the hdd or full recovery. I chose full recovery and it got stuck near the end. I tried restore to last known good config, but it just got the same BSOD. I went on w7f and downloaded a w7u copy, since i wanted to try. I booted it to a USB and guess what, my windows works again! One annoying thing is that it takes so long to boot up. I recently got the same BSOD when installing vredist and managed to run chkdsk. It went all fine until it hit stage 4. No percentage number showed up.. i need help with this, i tried force shutdown but it goes back to the same. The hdd light is blinking after each few seconds and the drive is spinning. Help would be appreciated! P.S: sorry for my bad english.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:11 AM

All i was left with is either nuke the hdd or full recovery

The description you provided clearly shows indications of a failing HDD. The STOP 0x7A BSOD , sticking CHKDSK , blinking HDD LED and what not ( Hard drives are vulnerable to shock due to their mechanical nature).

I would recommend replacing the drive as soon as possible.

Attached Files

#3 JeffESniperMLG

JeffESniperMLG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

Thank you so much! I decided i will buy a Gaming PC, since i mostly play games ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users