Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to find wireless network/connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Elcoach44

Elcoach44

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

I have lost the ability to connect to the internet with my desktop (Dell XPS 420). I have a Netgear WNDA USB adapter but it cannot find any networks. It is not the router because I have a laptop, iphone and tablet that can all connect. At first I could see the network but it was "bumped" by this Virtual Network and then it would not be able to connect. I found online an article describing the same problem so I followed their recommendations. I removed the Netgear software and reinstalled it from the CD but now it will not even bring up the control module to connect/find the networks. What's even stranger is that the computer will not connect with an ethernet cable either. Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Try using System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when everything when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

#3 Elcoach44

Elcoach44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

That's one of the first things I tried. It would not allow me to. Then I tried multiple times to reinstall the wireless software. Unfortunately, I did not realize it kept creating new restore points. I exceeded the storage capacity so my older restore points are gone. Kinda strange. When I go to system restore there is only a couple and I do not have the option to go longer than 5 days. As if it had been erased. I am stumped as to why I am unable to connect either wireless or with the ethernet cable. The errors I get when I use the diagnosis feature are:

Network Adapter "Intel® 82566dc..." is experiencing driver or hardware related issues (when I try the local connection) or

Network Adapter "RangeMax Dual Max Wireless N..." is experiencing driver or hardware related issues (when I try the wireless connection). Resetting the wireless network adapter does not help. 

The wireless adapter is a NetGear WNDA3100 USB adapter

#4 Elcoach44

Elcoach44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

I have also tried the following:

• Booted up in safe mode with networking: cannot find any networks
  • ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, got the following error: "Windows IP configuration. No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has media disconnected. An error occurred while releasing Interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1: System cannot find the file specified"
  • Went to Network connections and made sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" were checked.
  • Reset Winsock and reset TCP/IP.

Nothing works. It just cannot find any networks from the wireless or ethernet connections!!!

#5 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

Under Network Adapters in Device Manager, right-click each one and select Uninstall. Reboot and on boot up, Windows should run through its "Found new hardware" routine and set them back up for you.

#6 Elcoach44

Elcoach44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

SpywareDoctor, first of all thanks for helping me with this problem. I followed your advice and unistalled the network adapters. I did not check the box to remove the drivers since you did not suggest that. It worked for the local connection, I again have internet access if connected to the router through an ethernet cable. Not a problem since they are close to each other. However, I am still not able to connect to the wireless. I tried reinstalling the software from the CD, checked for updates, reinstalled the driver, but when I go to Manage Wireless Networks it cannot find any. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the desktop or with the USB adapter or the software. Again, not as big of a deal now with the ethernet connection but I would like to know what the issue is in case I need to move the computer or router somewhere else in the house. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#7 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

I'd try a different USB WiFi Adapter. If you don't have one, you can pick one up for 8 to 9 bucks, including shipping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users