Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus protection programs help for Win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jziggyp

jziggyp

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

My Norton Virus trial subscription is about to run out . I am looking for the best recommended free and paid win 8.1 compatible  Virus program to make the best protection choice I can .

Compatibility seems to be a main issue searching online !  Does anyone use F-secure or Comodo security  ?(  I am not seeing that they are compatible with 8.1 ) Please need help with recommendations ! Thanks .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

Hi -

Why not stay with the Microsoft preferred Defender, or is there another reason ??

I have run (same type of program) Microsoft Security Essentials on 2 computers for ages now.

I had attempted to use trials and other free versions for ages, but Microsoft provides what Microsoft needs.

There are some here that do use ESET Nod32 as their paid version, and even Norton Antivirus (always run a free trial first).

If a Free Trial is not offered, there is usually a negative reason. With the Free Trial line I mean any Antivirus, not just any ones I mention.

Since there is a growing, not shrinking, market (for you), take your time, and always use the Free Trial first.

#3 jziggyp

jziggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

Thanks noknojon 

Norton trial came with the new computer so I gave it a try , Win Defender comes with it also , but I have not been seeing very many good reviews .. I am able to get several paid subscriptions to other virus software for free ( My ISP provider, etc.) But I am seeing that the system requirements on most V programs do not include Win 8.1 ! I have used/tried many over the years and have not been satisfied with any of them ( Everyone of them has been hit buy trojans , root kits and password stealers and infected the computer . I have used Malwarebytes , SAS and a few others along with the V programs Malware has gotten past them all. Yes, I understand surfing habits etc. the past computers were used by several people and I have put a stop to that  . Business use only ! Within 4 days of getting this new computer Norton caught a trojan on an email from a bank that a customer forwarded to me . I just want to be sure about having the best compatible protection for Win 8.1 .

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hi

I used your question (basically) to find dozens of results, (actually just over 3 million results) and I entered at "Best recommended paid win 8.1 compatible Virus programs" and Free as well as Paid versions were listed.

What options are offered by your ISP, and are there any catches involved.

Often 2 or 3 year subscriptions are asked for (not always free after the first 12 months).

These, below, are Alphabetically listed only, while it seems that they were using Microsoft Windows Defender 4.3 as a baseline for comparison. This is from av-test.org, and some may prefer others to compare programs
Titled How We Interpret Antivirus Lab Tests there is a large ad for Bitdefender beside the ratings (yes they also sell it).

While  Bitdefender and Kaspersky are listed at the top, while they were using Microsoft Windows Defender 4.3 as a baseline for comparison that will not use the same detection / removal methods. This is from av-test.org, and some may prefer others to compare programs

Virus protection programs for Win 8.1 <= A few basic test results for you to go over.

AV-TEST Reveals the Best Anti-Virus Solutions for Windows 8.1 A Commercial view from Softpedia

Perfect? Nope - Read the above along with This example of reporting and discussion from Wikipedia -
Some vendors don't approve of certain tests. Webroot's style of defense against brand-new threats isn't compatible with some tests. Symantec has stated that static tests have little value and that only whole-product dynamic tests provide useful information.  While some don't choose to participate at all, or participate in so few tests that no overall rating is possible.

Webroot Reviews to see that no test is even "remotely good" AV-Test reported in their January/February 2013 report that Webroot SecureAnywhere antimalware engine was 99.8% effective against malware and 100% effective against Zero-day threats. Detection of widespread and prevalent malware discovered in the last 4 weeks was 100%(the AV-TEST reference set, with an industry average 99%. Protection against 0-day malware attacks, inclusive of web and e-mail threats was rated at 95% (January) and 97% (February) in the AV-TEST Real-World Testing.
Webroot had the worst results out of 20 products tested by AV-Comparatives in the September 2012 File Detection Test of Malicious Software, both in terms of malware detection rates and false alarms. Webroot detected less than 80 percent of viral samples, much worse than the 94.4 percent rate of the second lowest detecting product. Among clean files, Webroot inappropriately flagged 210 of them, raising as many false-positives as the other 19 products tested combined. According to AV-comparatives, the "results and misses have been confirmed with several tests and also by the vendor".
AV-Comparatives gave nine vendors, including Webroot, its highest award in its July 2012 Anti-Phishing Test, in which Webroot took 9th place among 18 products tested in regards to the blocking of phishing websites. In AV-Comparative's Performance Test for October 2012, Webroot had the best PCMark score, having the lightest impact out of 20 products tested on a Windows 7 64-bit machine.

A paid / Pro Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will be a lot better than just the Free (clean-up) version that offers no Real-time protection, and is well above SAS (my opinion).

#5 jziggyp

jziggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Thanks noknojon  Just the info I was looking for ! Thanks again  :cool:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:35 AM

There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

I agree with noknojon about using the paid version of Malwarebytes. See Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

Also read my comments about Emsisoft Anti-Malware. If you don't mind paying for adding security....that is the way to go.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users