Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP PLEASE!! STOP: C0000135

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 juggyp

juggyp

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hi

I am unable to boot my laptop to Windows. 

Blue screen - STOP: C0000135 The Program Can't Start Because %HS Is Missing...

I do have AVG installed and have followed several online "solutions" using their Rescue CD but still no luck.

I've run FRST and attached.

Hope you can help me find a solution!!!

Thanks

JP

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 06 April 2014 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,311 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

The simplest step for you to take is first of all see if your laptop will boot into 'Safe mode'.

You get here normally by tapping the F8 key a few times while the BIOS screen (that's the one with the maker's name all over it that appears as soon as you press the power button) is showing. If this works for you you will come to a black screen with white print. At the top you will see 'Safe mode' options, and towards the bottom you will see 'Windows repair'. Use the 'Up' and 'Down' arrow keys to select 'Windows repair' and press 'Enter'. This will start the repair system running.

Normally this takes a few minutes and at the end, if it has been successful, it will tell you to re-start Windows. Do so, and you should start normally.

However, 'Repair' is  not always successful. If it doesn't work, you will be presented with a screen saying so and asking if you want to try 'Advanced options' - accept.

You then get a screen of options, you will see 'Restore Windows to an earlier date', select this one and press 'Enter' or 'Next'. At the next screen you get to choose a 'Restore point' (a date). Very often the screen only offers the latest one or two restore points. Pick one that dates from before your problem started. If none of the points offered on the screen pre-date your problem, then on the left, below the choice box is a button 'Other restore points'. Click on this and choose an appropriate point. Then press 'Accept' and / or 'Continue' buttons until it starts working. Again, it will take a few minutes, and again it will probably ask you to re-start if it doesn't do it automatically.

This is a very simple routine procedure and is capable of solving a lot of start-up problems, but not all. If it doesn't work, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 juggyp

juggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply!

I get the same stop code when attempting to launch in Safe Mode. Startup repair hasn't fixed the problem. And I have no restore points to restore to!

Any other ideas?

JP

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,311 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

Yes - there are still a number of steps you can take before you get to the stage of throwing it out of the window !

Since you have a laptop you probably don't have a Windows install disc. If by any chance you do, then the following steps also apply, but you won't need to create

a disc. The first thing to do is to obtain or create a Windows repair disc. You will find full instructions here, in a BC tutorial :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/

Note that Win 7 comes in two flavours - 32 and 64 bit - and you need the correct one for your laptop. If in doubt, make one of each. Blank DVDs are not expensive and the wrong one will just say 'Wrong operating system' when you put it in the computer. I have just realised that I am making an assumption here that you have a CD/DVD drive! If you don't have one, post back!

If it doesn't boot from the disc you may have to go into your BIOS and change the Boot priority sequence. If you don't know how to do this, post back.

Power up the computer, put the disc in the drive and re-boot. It will now boot from the repair disc. Choose your keyboard type and language as appropriate, and, if you are using an install disc, choose REPAIR not INSTALL, and then let it go through the repair routine. Looking at the log file you attached in your first post, two Windows files have got corrupted and they need to be fixed. Using a repair disc will usually fix these problems.

If it doesn't, then we will look at ways of recovering your data off the computer before we get as far as you having to do a factory re-set using your laptop's recovery partition.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 April 2014 - 07:00 PM.
Omission

#5 juggyp

juggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

No CD drive! Can I run this process with a USB drive?

Also, any suggestions of how I can back up data without getting to desktop?

#6 juggyp

juggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

I have just realised that I have already run the system repair tool and that hasn't worked either!

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,311 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

If your BIOS will support booting from a USB stick, then as far as I know you can do the repair from one - instead of burning the files to a disc, you copy them to a USB drive. However I have never done this, so I am trying to get a second opinion for you on how to do it. But you can recover your data without Windows running !

How you store the recovered data depends on how much you have. Up to about 32 or 64 Gb of data you can get on a USB stick, for more than that you need to get an external hard drive of some sort. And now you are going to get an introduction to Puppy Linux! Don't worry, he's quite friendly and doesn't bite!

First off, go to this web-site and download Puppy Linux. :-

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

You will also find instructions there on how make a CD or put it on a thumb drive. The Puppy file comes to you as an .ISO image and needs to be unpacked before you can use it. Once you have it on a thumb drive and your BIOS is set to boot from one, turn the computer off, plug in the thumb drive and re-boot. The computer will start from the thumb drive and boot into Linux Puppy.

Plug in the external drive you want to store your data on and both it and all the other drives on your computer will appear as icons on the desktop. One minor difference from Windows is that you have to 'mount' the drives before you can work with them. From memory, double clicking on them will do this, or select 'Mount' if a pop-up appears.

There is a utility very similar to Windows Explorer in Puppy and using it, you can drag the files and folders you want to keep to the external hard drive. Once you have finished, shut down the computer, disconnect the external drive and the USB stick you had Puppy on and Puppy is gone until the next time you need it!

Chris Cosgrove

#8 juggyp

juggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Chris

I am currently in the process of backing up data using another Linux based software called KNOPPIX.

Once done, what's the easiest way to re-install Windows 7?

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,311 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

The easiest way to re-install Windows is just to do a factory re-set. Your manual should tell you how to do this, if you haven't got one you can download it from the manufacturer's web-site. This is why nearly all laptops built in the last few years have recovery partitions.

But be warned!  This will re-set your computer to the state it was in as it left the factory and at the date it left.

After you have done it, (1) Windows will require all the updates from the day it was installed to this week, (2) All the sample software originally installed will be back and need removing, (3) All your applications will need to be re-installed, and, (4) Finally you will be able to put your data back on it !

It might just be worth your while hanging on a day or so just to see if the existing installation can be repaired. If it can, it will save you a lot of work.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 juggyp

juggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

Sure, I can hang on.

How will I know if/when the existing issue can be fixed?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

The only time I have seen this is if you have had a malware infection or a corrupted dll file that windows cannot recognize like when AVG had a problem. See the following links The bleeping computer links are using FRST which I have no experience with. I think you would have good luck in the Malware Removal Forum. The removal experts are very good in what they do.

http://travis.sarbin.net/2011/11/28/stop-c0000135-the-program-cant-start-because-hs-is-missing-try-reinstalling-the-program-to-fix-this-problem/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510547/missing-hs/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/444580/stop-c0000135-the-program-cant-start-because-hs-is-missing-try-resintalling-the-program/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/448225/bsob-c0000135-hs-missing-caused-by-avast/

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

FWIW:  FRST logs are NOT to be posted in any forum other than the Malware Removal Logs Forum .

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

In the event that you post in that forum...please add a comment to this topic indicating that you have begun a malware topic in said appropriate forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users