Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Verizon Actiontec MI424WR router Not giving me DHCP, fails and switches to PPPoE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vigorousjammer

vigorousjammer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hey everybody!

Alright, so I'm running on Windows 7 64-bit, my connection is wired, and as you can tell from the topic title, my router is the Verizon Actiontec MI424WR. I'm running a FiOS connection.

Anyway, something pretty odd has been happening recently. I've provided a few screenshots below to show you exactly what is confusing me.

First, here's the Network section of my router, and as you can see, I'm connected locally (obviously) and simply waiting for DHCP to assign an external IP address so I can connect to the internet, all seems to be working fine, and I just have to wait a minute or so, right?
t2aOYIh.jpg

Wrong! As you can see in the second image, it says it's "connected", but then inexplicably, automatically switches to PPPoE, despite the fact that I had it disabled.
This struck me as odd, because my connection isn't even configured for PPPoE, I know this because whenever I was sucessfully connected in the past, it was through DHCP.

HF9oxUt.jpg

So, next, I went into the settings for "Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)"
Well, here's my problem, I'm shown as "connected" but still don't have an IP Address! It's almost like the router kept trying to get an IP Address, but eventually just gave up. (For the record, the drop-down menu where it says "No IP Address" only changes to that after DHCP fails.)

nuSeByu.jpg

Well, after the router finishes messing around with PPPoE and fails... it goes back to the first image and tries getting a DHCP Lease again. Yet, nothing changes, nothing starts working, I still don't get an IP Address ever, and it just keeps doing this over and over again.

Anybody have any idea what the problem might be? This is super frustrating.

Edited by vigorousjammer, 05 April 2014 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

I assume you are renting the router from Verizon. Is this a correct assumption? If so, then have you tried calling Verizon support? I realize that might be worse than smacking your hand with a hammer as talking to support representatives can be very painful.

#3 vigorousjammer

vigorousjammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

I assume you are renting the router from Verizon. Is this a correct assumption? If so, then have you tried calling Verizon support? I realize that might be worse than smacking your hand with a hammer as talking to support representatives can be very painful.

I am renting it, yes. I haven't called yet, though, as their answer is usually just "oh, we'll send you a new router" after walking me through all of their scripted steps.
Then the new router works fine for a month or a few weeks, but then does the same exact thing afterwards (this has happened twice already >_< )

I also attempted to set up a static IP, attempting to keep my main computer at 168.192.1.2, just bypassing DHCP altogether... (since that's what the problem seems to be)
However, I'm not really sure how to do that properly, and every time I tried, I would end up either entering a duplicate subnet mask, or an improper one.

I've also looked into Static DHCP, but that seems like it's currently impossible, or at least out of my skill range, since DHCP isn't giving me any IP Address to begin with (which I would then be able to make static).

Does anybody have any idea why DHCP wouldn't be giving me an IP?

Edited by vigorousjammer, 07 April 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

Coming at this really late, but if it has happened twice already....call, go through their steps and when they get to the point of sending you a new router explain to them that this is the 3rd time and you want someone in tier 2 or a supervisor because sending you a new router doesn't fix it...it just delays it and you want it fixed. be nice but firm and 9 out of 10 tier 1 techs will help you all they can.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

to set the ip address is a common way to get around it i suppose.... you could always use something like ip addy of 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway of 192.168.1.1   for dns try 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 from the network control panel (start ->run -> ncpa.cpl {choose your adaptor, right click, properties, select ipv4, properties, and filler in} 

also, i have noticed a lot of apple products have a hell of a time with wep encryption on b/g wireless. (I'll assume your using wpa on N though as fios would be silly to run otherwise.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users