Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Detected A hard Disk PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ComptuersRfun

ComptuersRfun

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

disc.jpg

That is the exact window that pops up. I Backed up some important stuff, and am running malware bytes to see if its a virus.. But can anyone tell me

If thats an actual window that windows pops up, or if its from a virus? I would like to know this before i go nuts and start really wasting time trying to fix this computer..

I know one of the hard drives on this computer is 6+ years old, but 1 is realitively new. In the details of this warning it says

The following hard disks are reporting failure disk name SAMSUNG HD502HJ ATA device

And going by the volume C: and N: its that old hard drive. But its also the hard drive with windows on it, so if it was a virus thats the hard drive it would be on.

I should also note i have not changed any hardware on this computer in at least a year, and i have recently had problems with the computer going to a blue screen and crashing, then needing to run checkdisk, i ran it and its been fine for about a month but now this is happening.

Computer is freezing up randomly when clicking on files or playing games or browsing the net.

Edited by ComptuersRfun, 05 April 2014 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Sounds like your hard drive is failing. You can verify by downloading GSmartControl and have it diagnose your hard drives. I would concentrate on getting all important data off the drive first.  Check the attribute list.

info_failing.png

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

To add to what JohnC said back up everything of yours that is on this drive, and don't forget the silly stuff that tends to get overlooked like contact lists and browser bookmarks! And, as he said, do this before you start running tests on the drive. Testing drives like this stresses them to the point where a weak drive can die.

Hard drives are relatively cheap and easily replaced, and replacing an operating system and your applications is merely tedious. It would be a very good idea to make sure you have your original Windows authentication code - you will need it after the re-install. There should be no problem re-installing Windows as MS accepts that hard drives fail. If you don't have the original install disc, download and run Speccy and it will display it on your screen :-

www.piriform.com

And if you have any registered or licensed software that you have installed by download, make a note of the registration serials for them as well. It can save many tedious discussions about whether or not you have already paid for this software!

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users