Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major PC upgrade,need help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elixx

elixx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

I use my PC for gaming and have what I believe to be a good graphics card:

http://i.imgur.com/8G3wx8Z.png

I get lag on a lot of games so I am wondering if it something to do with my CPU(bottlenecking):

Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 2GHz (2 CPUs)

Which I am pretty sure isn't that great so I plan to upgrade.

This means replacing the outdated mobo and ddr2 RAM.

Will I also have to replace the GPU?

I have a budget of €250 for this major upgrade

I have chosen this CPU:

http://tinyurl.com/q69vgx4

AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core

I chose this because apparently the CPU isn't that important when gaming,is this the right choice?

I am unsure whether to go with standard or micro atx for the mobo,please tell me which one would suit my needs.

Also I have a standard ATX case,will I have to get a new case?

Also is there anything else to consider?

Also any suggestions must be available on Amazon UK as where I live it is my only option.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

I use my PC for gaming and have what I believe to be a good graphics card:

http://i.imgur.com/8G3wx8Z.png

I get lag on a lot of games so I am wondering if it something to do with my CPU(bottlenecking):

Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 2GHz (2 CPUs)

Which I am pretty sure isn't that great so I plan to upgrade.

This means replacing the outdated mobo and ddr2 RAM.

The HD7770 is a pretty good card, although it is a long way behind higher end cards.  It's included in the charts here which shows how it stacks up against some other models available.  I think it should suit a 'casual gamer' at resolutions like you are using though.  If planning to use on really demanding games at high resolutions, and with high quality settings then it will likely struggle.

The E2180 CPU is quite old now, and although still more than capable for basic use (internet etc.), you will probably see an improvement with a faster CPU in current games.

Will I also have to replace the GPU?

You would not 'have' to.  You could if you wanted to, but:

I have a budget of €250 for this major upgrade

Doesn't really allow for a GPU upgrade as well.  In fact CPU, RAM and Motherboard is pushing the budget really, as RAM is not particularly cheap at the moment.

I have chosen this CPU:

http://tinyurl.com/q69vgx4

AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core

I chose this because apparently the CPU isn't that important when gaming,is this the right choice?

Yes I think this CPU has an excellent performance for it's price.  Six cores, 3.5ghz, it's certainly a step up from the old Pentium dual core.  I could say you could also consider the Core i3-4130 which is in the same price range.  Although it's only a dual core, the cores are more efficient than AMD's.  But it will likely be beaten in things that are highly multithreaded that can make use of the additional cores offered in the FX. Some bench tests.

I am unsure whether to go with standard or micro atx for the mobo,please tell me which one would suit my needs.

Also I have a standard ATX case,will I have to get a new case?

This is just a form factor.  mATX boards will fit in an ATX case, but ATX boards will not fit in an mATX case.  Either will fit in your standard ATX case.  ATX boards tend to have greater expansion capabilities - more card slots, usually extra ports, USB headers and the like.  They also tend to be more expensive, as the budget models are nearly all Micro ATX these days.  I would tend to choose an ATX board if you have a case that will take it, because of the extra expansion etc.

Also is there anything else to consider?

Also any suggestions must be available on Amazon UK as where I live it is my only option.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Difficult to say without the full system specs..  Assuming you are using a hard disk that's a similar age to the CPU, it is likely to be much slower than the high capacity drives available now.  They often start to develop problems after years of constant service as well.  SSD's (solid state disks) are also a popular upgrade, but more expensive.  If you are using a generic power supply, you should probably upgrade it.  Also if you go with the AMD CPU in particular, consider changing the stock cooler for an upgraded item - these CPU's can get hot, and the supplied coolers can get noisy.  Larger and more efficient coolers will keep the CPU at a lower temperature, and keep the noise down.

Also don't forget if you are using an OEM license for Windows, it will not be valid for the new motherboard.  In which case budget for a new OS.  If you have a retail copy of Windows then it can be re-activated on the new motherboard.

Edited by jonuk76, 05 April 2014 - 03:03 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 elixx

elixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

Thank you for this in depth response!

Can you suggest a low priced mobo with 2 pci express slots for dual GPUs?

Thank You so much.

#4 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

FX 6300, Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 mobo, Hyper X 1600 CL9 *GB Ram, Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 Cpu Cooler -total GBP 258.77

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cart/view.html/ref=lh_cart_vc_btn

#5 elixx

elixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

Thank You!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users