Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cleaning the encoder strip of a printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xcheva

xcheva

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

Hi, I have been asking this question around but did not have any luck resolving. Maybe I will have better luck this time. I have an old HP deskjet D1430 printer. Recently, the cartridges would sometimes zip extremely quickly and bang side to side when the printer starts up. I read that it could possibly be a dirty encoder strip, so I cleaned it up with a dry cloth but it did not help. There appears to be still some smear in the middle of the strip that wouldn't go away. Is the encoder strip supposed to be spotless? I was wondering if I can use a damp cloth to clean the encoder strip (would a bit of water damage the strip)? Are there other possible causes for the problem that I should look into? I know this is an outdated printer but I have used it for such a long time without any problems, that it is such a shame to toss it in the trash. any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Short of downloading the manual, there are a few things to look for.  The belt passes through a sensor that reads the contrast off the belt.  That sensor can be cleaned with a cotton swab and alcohol.  Ink jets are notorious for spitting ink everywhere.  A cleaning blade, usually on the "home" side cleans excess ink off the face of the printhead, but it drips into a tray, it overflows and drips on the belts and carriage rails.

#3 xcheva

xcheva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

thanks for your reply-can I clean the encoder strip with a damp piece of cloth too while I am at it (with water, not alcohol I guess). The smear just won't go away with the dry cloth. thanks again!

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

From a YouTube video I found for cleaning an Epson's encoder strip, they used alcohol with a lint free cloth. FWIW, here is the video:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users