Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New "unbreakable" encryption based on human biology

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

New "unbreakable" encryption based on human biology
A new method of encrypting confidential information has been patented by scientists at Lancaster University, UK

Written By

Casey_boy

April 05, 2014 // 14:45 PM GMT

physicencryptionkeyweb.jpg
Image credit: Lancaster University

Researchers from the Department of Physics at Lancaster University, UK, have patented "an encryption scheme that is so nearly unbreakable that it will be equally unwelcome to internet criminals and official eavesdroppers".

They were modelling how the human heart and lungs pass information between themselves to co-ordinate their rhythmic cycles. They have since filed a patent to implement their complex mathematical model to producing a near-unbreakable encryption method.

The method works by encrypting data using a cipher which makes use of the "coupling functions" between interacting dynamical systems. In the words of the researchers themselves:

"The idea is for the sender to encrypt information at the transmitter as time variations of the coupling functions between a pair of dynamical systems, e.g., electronic oscillators or lasers, analogous to the heart and lungs. At the receiver end, the information is decrypted with another pair of dynamical systems, identical to those in the transmitter and interacting via the same coupling functions, using Bayesian inference."

This method offers an infinite number of encryption keys and allows for several encrypted streams to be transmitted at the same time.

In short: this means the new method is virtually impossible to crack. Let's just hope the research turns into a real-world application.

Further Reading:

Source: Lancaster University - Publication: Phys. Rev X

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

If this is use on ransomware, what will happen?

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 Oh.Y.Not

Oh.Y.Not

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

The MSP in me says you better be sure your BDR is up to snuff.

#4 kingdom.seeker

kingdom.seeker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Exactly.  It's almost to the point you should require a password for all changes to files, but then that is such a pain.

#5 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

My closest buds and I found the perfect secure transmission of sensitive and personal data.  We go camping to a place without electronic waves, a dead spot where our mobile devices dont work.  Even then there are the sateliites. 

Any new encryption is welcome, especially if governments don't have it.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

Exactly.  It's almost to the point you should require a password for all changes to files, but then that is such a pain.

Linux has that now, Updates, Software installs, All need a root password. Try changing a file of any type in your root directory, I do not see a problem with it.

Edited by NickAu1, 14 May 2014 - 11:19 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:18 AM

My closest buds and I found the perfect secure transmission of sensitive and personal data....

I thought you were going to say you write it down on paper and give it to each other personally, after this... :lmao:

#8 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

My closest buds and I found the perfect secure transmission of sensitive and personal data....

I thought you were going to say you write it down on paper and give it to each other personally, after this... :lmao:

Naaw.  You see how clearly your house appears on Google Earth?  The military satellites are better, much better. We have to stop the proliferation of video cameras now while there is still a chance. They don't prevent crime; although they may aid in the apprehension of criminals after the commission of the crime. 

I don't know if we are safe from ease drops in the woods. Only way keep a secret is don't tell anyone and have a cyanide tooth so they can't torture it out of you.  If captured and shackled bite your tongue and bleed to death.  Short of that I recommend we talk to our kin, kith, friends, and neighbors to alert them to danger of constant monitoring of the public.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

That's it, I'm taking the family and we're moving back to the cave. Once I roll the boulder in front of the entrance we will be safe again, like the days of yore.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

You see how clearly your house appears on Google Earth?

And they cant find that missing jet, or tell if something floating in the water is bits of that Malasian jet or just rubbish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users