Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need a partition manager to do these things.....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

I wish to divide my single 500GB  C drive into two parts so that I can keep XP on one and put Windows 7 on the other. (How can I boot into the choice? -possible?)

Also on another computer I wish to shrink the D partition (of backup stuff) releasing 7 GB to merge into the C partition. Now I can do the shrinking but that puts the 7 GB into another partition to the right of D which cannot be merged with C as it is not contiguous which seems to be the case with the managers I've tried - Easeus, PartitionMagic.

Perhaps these operations are impossible?

Thanks for advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

First, you need to find out if your hardware is compatible with Windows 7 if you haven't done that.

Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Center

For excellent advice on how to dual boot XP and 7 or just replace XP with 7,  here are two links:

How to Move On After Windows XP Without Giving Up Your PC

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or Vista

On the second computer, move the files from D to another drive...either flash or hdd or DVD(s).

Use one of the programs you have to delete the D partition after moving the files.

Before attempting to shrink the new enlarged Windows XP installed partition, be sure to defragment the drive first.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

On the second computer if I understand correctly, you want to take 7GB of space from the D partition and add it to the C partition. The reason you have 7GB after shrinking the D partition is because you can only shrink or expand the free space of the partiiton. So the steps are:

1) Shrink the D partition 7GB leaving 7GB or unallocated space after the D partition

2) Move the D partition to the Right by 7GB, leaving 7GB of unallocated space after your C partition

3) Expand the C partition by 7GB to the right

Hope this helps

I would not do this unless you have created backups or a system image because any operation like this can fail.

Edit: You would do all three steps within the partition manager then apply all three steps.

Edit Edit: this can only be done outside of windows as you are working on the system partition. You can do it with a Gparted live CD or the bootable version of Partition Wizard which is a little easier to work with.

Gparted tutorial

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 April 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the responses.

buddy215 - Firstly I later thought of doing exactly your suggestion of  moving or even deleting  those backup files on D so easily merging the D to C - I should have thought of that way before!! Yes, defragging is important - good reminder.

I have done the Windows 7 Advisor.

JohnC_21 - Your method re D & C merge is also good. I have tried the GParted Live CD method to set up a dual boot for XP and Win 7 , making the ISO bootable file which is supposed to set up two partitions to hold both OSs but it hasn't booted on two computers. I have since seen that I'm just one of many to have this fail so have joined up with them in abandoning it!

I'll try the Partition Wizard link you gave. I'll let you know how I get on.

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

JohnC_21....your suggestion of 

1) Shrink the D partition 7GB leaving 7GB or unallocated space after the D partition

2) Move the D partition to the Right by 7GB, leaving 7GB of unallocated space after your C partition

3) Expand the C partition by 7GB to the right

worked OK to get that 7 GB (actually I made it 6.17 GB) just after C as an unallocated  partition but this is not recognised (by EaseUS anyway) to be able to merge it - it is designated as Logical and is labeled as a * which I seem unable to rename as Primary if that would be necessary. I didn't try the Partition Wizard but have now successfully got a GParted ISO image which works - might try that.- tomorrow if I have time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users