Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer, iPad and Projector

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hope this is in the correct category.  I'm an instructor for a large computer club.  Since the holidays, we've had an explosion of classes for mobile devices (in my case specifically iPads) and how to use with your computer for sharing data.  I like to demonstrate, for instance, iCloud Photo Stream and how it will transmit pics from ipad to computer and how to add pics to ipad from computer.  To do this, I have my laptop but have to keep switching our projector's vga plug from one to the other (we have the adaptor hooked up to the iPad) so the students can see the results at both ends.  It's a royal pain to keep plugging and unplugging back and forth.  Is there some gadget that will work like an A/B switch that I could just switch back and forth???  One of our techies is going to bring in a KVM switch next week and we are going to try that out.  He isn't sure if this is a solution since we haven't needed to do it before, so I'm looking for whatever input is available.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 April 2014 - 06:16 PM.
Moved from External hardware to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hi,

A KVM [keyboard, video, mouse] switch could do the job. It usually connects two computers to a single monitor, keyboard and mouse. If you can connect the single video output to the projector then you might be able to switch back and forth between the displays for the systems.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

As noted, a KVM switch should likely do what you want.

The option potential option would be to use two different ports on the projector, assuming the projector has other video ports. For example, my home theater projector has both an HDMI port and a DVI port. If the project has multiple video ports, then you could hook the computer up to one and the iPad up to the other and then use the projector remote to switch (or buttons on the projector if you don't have a remote).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users