Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSE antivirus

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

This is a question for those of you who still have XP with Microsoft Security Exchange, or MSE. Yesterday I noticed that my icon in the notification area has turned from blue to yellow. It says my computer is "potentially unprotected". It is up to date, a scan has been run, and it is says it is scanning my computer. It is not April 8th yet so why would this happen? I noticed this yesterday morning (4/4/14).

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2014 - 11:57 AM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

Supposedly MSE will still update in XP until 2015, did you do a manual UD to see if that helps.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Old Phil, I did do an update. I have done everything I can think of and it still says I am "Potentially unprotected". When I open Microsoft Security Essentials it shows everything is normal, such as Real Time Protection is on and Virus and Spyware definitions are up to date. At the top of page it has a long yellow colored bar across the page that says; PC status: potentially unprotected. This bar is the same color as the icon in the notification area is. It sure has me stumped. Plus, it says the virus and spyware definitions are up to date. At first I thought that it was just a warning alerting me about XP getting ready to expire.

There is a warning on the home tab that says: Support for this operating system is ending. When this occurs Microsoft Security Essentials will no longer be supported and your PC might be unprotected. To make sure your PC stays protected, click the link belie to see our end-of-support guidance for operating systems. I am thinking that it may just be a warning, telling me to update my operating system. Microsoft Security Essentials will not be available to download after April 8th but for those that already have it on their computers it will continue to update until July 14, 2015. I was hoping that some one with an XP computer with MSE would come to my rescue and see if there's says the same thing. Maybe Microsoft screwed up. Thanks for your post.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Full scan with all your tools you may have picked up a bug, it is super easy these days.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

Old Phil, I found the answer to my question here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/mse-protect_start/microsoft-security-essentials-452160-potentially/1328d67a-5720-4481-8662-e52a49a11a22 I was thinking that this may be the reason but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for your help.

#6 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

For anyone else that may have this problem, I have read that the administrative accounts should be changed from being administrative account to another person. Supposedly this will help keep you from getting in trouble if you want to continue using XP. Read the below website to see how to change it. If anyone disagrees with this please let me know as I will be doing this prior to April 8th.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

your microsoft support link is incorrect....it links to this topic.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Condobloke. I have been reading that information again and I found out that a computer has to have an administrator. An administrator cannot cannot make himself a limited user. I read some other article where you could. I make a mistake on that website. Here is the correct website:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_change_account_type.mspx?mfr=true Thanks for catching the mistake. I am trying to find some way to make my XP more safe after April 8, 2014. I read if you turn off administrative rights it would keep viruses from installing things on your computer. The way I read it that cannot be done.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Go HERE  and follow the steps to open a new user a/c....Choose LIMITED for the type of A/c

It is done in this manner so that there is always another user on the computer with a computer administrator account

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

User account can be hacked by elevating priviledges behind your back.
That said, running as a limited user is definitely best, though often inconvenient on XP.

My solution, long ago, was to have 2 accounts. Like this:
1. create a new user with admin rights (first login for that user will take a bit of time because it'll be creating few directories). You can install programs here that don't work limited.
2. now change your account type from administrator to limited user and run your programs. Most should be fine. Browsers MUST be fine or don't use that browser or anything facing the internet.
Some programs may not run under limited - decide if they're important to keep or use carefully with internet off perhaps.

#11 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

Tos226, thanks for the information. It sounds like that could be a royal pain to have to go through all that. I have never changed anything in user accounts before. I do have two other newer computers. I may just retire my XP computer and use the ones with vista and windows 7.

#12 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

Tos226, let me see if I have this straight. I would need to go in user accounts and make some one like, say, Jesse James the administrator, create this one first and then make myself a limited account. Is this correct. Would I need to use a pass word for each account I create? Thanks.

#13 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

Almost right.
While you still have admin rights,
Create a NEW account for JessieAdmin with administrator rights and a password. Do not skip the password. Write it down someplace and hide it.

Change, not create!!!!!, your current account type from admin to limited user.

Log your self out. (If you create a new account for yourself you'll loose all your stuff in the current account)

Log in as JessieAdmin, enter the password. Wait a bit for Windows to create the new account, directories etc.

Now you can log out of that account. Log yourself back in, enter password if you made it. I suggest you do.

Some things you can still run as admin. There's a command RunAs on the context menu - you will pick JesseAdmin, enter password and go. Don't do this too often.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:28 AM

...April is looming and those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution
#2: Get a Firewall That Supports Multiple Subnets & VLANs
#3: Virtually Freeze your XP PC with DeepFreeze
#4: Make Sure All Latest Windows Updates Are Installed
#5: Use Secunia PSI to Inspect your Third Party App Footprint
#6: Ditch Internet Explorer; Move to Chrome or Firefox
#7: Don't Need Internet on Your XP PC? Cut the Cord!
#8: Ditch the 'Ole Whitebox: Virtualize your XP PC on VirtualBox or Hyper-V
#9: Switch to a Limited User Account, as Rights can Kill
#10: Use DNS Filtering From OpenDNS or Norton DNS

Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

Quietman7, would a person have to do all the things you've listed here, to be safe, or just one of the ten things. I looked up deep freeze and that looks good. Do you have a good firewall you would recommend? Most of the things you have mentioned here is not known to me. Thank you for the information. I may be asking for more help later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users