Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to turn on/enable .NET Framework

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IHTlz70sw

IHTlz70sw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

I have looked all over the place and have even been tempted to call Microsoft's tech support if they had one and could find the number.

But I can't imagine its that hard to turn on/enable .NET Framework. I am running XP Home. I have found the ways how to do it in Windows 7 and 8 and thought it might be similar for XP, not the case or maybe it is and just haven't found it or its buried somewhere. I thought something like the attached screenshot would be easy enough to find to do it and seems it is for 7 and 8. I've been told its easy as checking/unchecking a box.

Again the attached image is what I am hoping is what I have to find on my OS but I believe its from Windows 7, 8 or maybe Vista but not sure as I don't have any experience with them.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

Apart from the Media Centre and Tablet PC editions, .NET Framework was not an OS component and so will not appear in the Add/Remove Windows Components list.

If it has been installed, .NET Framework will appear in the Add or Remove Programs list, so if it's not there you will need to download and install.

#3 IHTlz70sw

IHTlz70sw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

So if its installed its automatically on?? So there is no way to turn off or on its just there, Right?

I do have .net 4.0 Client profile and Extended installed and for good measure I also installed .net framework  2 sp 2,  3 sp 2 and 3.5 sp 1.

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Essentially, if it's installed it is available and you can't turn it on and off.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

FWIW:  NET Framework is a tool used by progam/application developers...when they put their products together.  It is (therefore) required by certain programs within Windows, in order for the program to proceed as planned.  Apps like MS Office and some driver packages (ATI) require a given version.

Some versions are automatically installed in a given Windows version, others can be downloaded/installed (if needed).  Generally, if a program requires NET Framework, it will either include the install as part of its installation process...or it will provide a message during attempted use/install of that program...which advises that a particular version of NET Framework is required.

Nothing to turn on or off...it does its job like any other installed program that is running.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users