Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Booting Up Forever

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 juted

juted

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:29 PM

Last night, I installed version 7 Quicktime movie software in my computer running Windows 2000 Pro, and was asked to restart after seeing the message successfully installed. Then, my computer passed the list of equipment installed in my computer, and started loading windows. Then, the screen with black/blue and white bar was forever saying "Starting Windows" without completing the startup.
Please, I need help on what to do. Several times, I had to shut down the computer by pressing off the power button, only to come to the same point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

Try your last known good configuration and see if that helps.
You can find instructions for using the Last Known Good in this support document.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315396/en-us

How to Start the Computer Using the Last Known Good Configuration
If the startup problem occurs immediately after you make a change to the computer (for example, if you install a new driver), try to start the computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature.

When you use the Last Known Good Configuration feature, you start your computer by using the most recent settings that worked. This feature restores registry information and driver settings that were in effect the last time the computer started successfully. Use this feature when you are unable to start Windows after you make a change to the computer (for example, if you install or upgrade a device driver).

To start the computer by using last known good configuration, follow these steps:
1. Restart the computer.
2. Press F8 when you receive the following message:
Please select the operating system to start
3. In Windows Advanced Option Menu, use the arrow keys to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on the computer, click Microsoft Windows 2000 from the list that is displayed, and then press ENTER.

WARNING: After you start your computer by using the last known good configuration, changes that you made since the last successful startup are lost.

If you can start your computer by using the last known good configuration, the last change that you made to the computer (for example, the installation of a driver) may be the cause of the incorrect startup behavior. It is recommended that you either remove or update the driver or program, and then test Windows for proper startup.

Edited by Joshuacat, 18 May 2006 - 03:39 PM.

JC

#3 juted

juted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:07 PM

Thank you Joshuacat. I tried the F8, but my computer will not respond. It did repond to delete key at RAM count. What should I do next :thumbsup: Juted.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:06 AM

As soon as the POST finishes start pressing the F8 key.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 juted

juted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:22 AM

dc3:

Tried that, did not work. I don't know.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:17 PM

So you have tried...

Press F8 when you receive the following message:
Please select the operating system to start

And you also tried to continuously pressing F8 as soon as your computer is starting up....

Sometimes it's all in the timing.

Also, you should be able to get to it when you see the message ...

"Press spacebar NOW to invoke Hardware Profile/Last Known Good menu"

Let us know.

Edited by Joshuacat, 19 May 2006 - 05:18 PM.

JC

#7 juted

juted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:25 AM

Thanks Joshuacat. I had to change out my keyboard, and was able to get into the safe mode. May be the F8 key on my other keyboard wasn't working. Now, I need to find out what caused the problem. Do you have any idea on how to this. Juted.

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:59 AM

juted: That's good that you can at least use the F8 key. Did you also do the Last Known Good as I suggested? Or, after swapping out the keyboard, did Windows normal mode work? When you tring to determine the cause of a problem, you always look at what has changed that may have caused the problem. You mentioned, that you...

installed version 7 Quicktime movie software

To me..I would guess that the install did not go as expected, caused some sort of corruption with the OS that caused your startup issue. Or, maybe the keyboard that could not even press the F8 key caused the problem. Or, maybe there was another change you made to your system recently that caused this issue. I can only go with the information you provided.

Let us know where you are with this issue now.

:thumbsup:
JC

#9 juted

juted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:23 PM

Thank you Joshuacat.
I used the last known good configuration as you advised, and it worked out fine. Then, I used the system information to identify what caused the startup problem. I ended up uninstalling the last application that I installed. I am now running a checkdisk, and will later run defrag of my drive. So far so good.
Thanks for your help. Keep up the good work.
Juted.

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

Sounds like you are going in the right direction now. :thumbsup:

Take care.
JC

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:35 PM

If you run into a problem getting to safe mode again - USB is not supported until Windows opens so you cannot get to safe mode using a USB keyboard.

You need to use a PS2 Keyboard. Some of the USB keyboards use adapters that change the PS2 connector to USB. You can just remove the USB adapter on those and plug them into the PS2 port.

#12 juted

juted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:04 PM

Thanks Enthusiast.
You are correct, I was using a USB key board. When I changed to PS2 keyboard that's was when the F8 key worked. It's good to know.
Thanks again. My computer is now working well.
Juted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users