Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

So I started watching an anime and it ask a really good question.  (the anime is called Kara no Kyoukai).  It ask a question of, is suicide wrong but goes deeper then that.

The saying goes:  "Let's say I had this horrible retrovirus that would kill everyone in Tokyo if I lived.  If everyone could be saved if I died, I would kill myself.  I think I would do that because I am weak."

So the question is:  If you had a retrovirus that will kill everyone in the entire world except you, would you kill yourself? And why did you choose this.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 April 2014 - 06:54 PM.
moved from General Chat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

If you had a retrovirus that will kill everyone in the entire world except you, would you kill yourself? And why did you choose this.

By the time you knew you had this virus, The government ( as in any country) would know.

Do you really think they would let such a powerfull biological weapon commit suicide untill they were sure they could reproduce it, controll( ha ha as if ) it,  and where would they find patient zero to study bisect poke prod.  No you would not get a chance to do it .

Now to answer your question.

Honnestly I do not know and I think the same applies to everybody, Untill you are faced with a situation, and push comes to shove nobody can honnestly say otherwise.

I find the concept of suicide abhorrent. It is the people left behind that really suffer.

I will not even touch the religious side of it.

I am a proud member and supporter Beyondblue

beyondblue was established in October 2000 as a national five-year initiative to create a community response to depression. The aim was to move the focus on depression away from a mental health service issue and towards one which is understood, acknowledged and addressed by the wider community.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/

Edited by NickAu1, 05 April 2014 - 12:31 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 MeMe277

MeMe277

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

None of us know what will happen in the next hour, let alone tomorrow, so there is always hope, no matter what the situation.  We all have to have hope.  For me, my hope is in Christ.  Everyone has to have hope. 

#4 Vikana

Vikana

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

I completely disagree with the idea of suicide, so no, I wouldn't. Instead, I would try and get rid of it ASAP (I don't want to be a murderer...)

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

Same basic type of scenario was in the Star Trek Wrath of Khan movie.

Following quote from: http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/blog/index.php/2013/09/spocks-illogic-the-needs-of-the-many-outweigh-the-needs-of-the-few/

"In The Wrath of Khan (1982), Spock says, “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” Captain Kirk answers, “Or the one.” This sets up a pivotal scene near the end of the film (spoilers follow).

With the Enterprise (ship) in imminent danger of destruction, Spock enters a highly radioactive chamber in order to fix the ship’s drive so the crew can escape danger. Spock quickly perishes, and, with his final breaths, says to Kirk, “Don’t grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh . . .” Kirk finishes for him, “The needs of the few.” Spock replies, “Or the one.”"

So the answer depends on whether you base your decision on logic or emotion?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hey MeMe...

Amen,I am in total agreement,in Jesus Name!     Wow,creepy scenario but far fetched,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank God!

Truly,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#7 MeMe277

MeMe277

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Thank you Kwik.. :)

I liked that movie Star Trek Wrath of Khan, though. 

#8 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

Hi Meme

You're welcome.............. Oh yeah & good answer by Animal,he's the best.........cool guy!

Regards,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Never ask "what would you do?".

Reason: one can say "if (situation A) happened I would (do this)" but IF the situation really does occur circumstances may force you to think about different alternatives other than what you always said you would do.

There is no way you can be prepared for EVERY circumstance and have a plan geared specifically toward each of  them.

Your question is no different than the others along the same what would you do lines which have been discussed and debated for many years.

CalusBlade, you started this topic.  However, you did not say what YOU would do and WHY.

#10 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hey Queen-Evie

You are so right & that is the truth,until we are faced with an actual situation we can say a lot of"I would do this" or "I would do that" but there is really no way of knowing what we would REALLY do..................

I too,am curious.CalusBlade...what you would do & why?

It is easy to say that one would sacrifice their own life for mankind,but that self preservation & love of life is very strong .................I only know of One who actually did give His own life that none should perish but He is not merely a man like the rest of us.................not sure if I answered ....but I do not think I could end my own life,selfish as that may seem but it is the truth

Sincerely,Kwik

#11 JeffyDurden

JeffyDurden

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

I would try to convince someone else to take me out. It would be hard doing it on my own.

#12 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

I don't believe that there is an afterlife, so I would do nothing the affect the only thing I have, (this life) If I caused the death of anyone, if they believed in an afterlife they would be better off, because of me. If they didn't they would have to take their chances like me. Problem solved.

#13 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hey Jeffy

LOL,like the old movie"The End"? That was hysterical,Jonathan Winters trying to help "out" Burt Reynolds........................

Regards-Kwik :axe:

#14 xfrk

xfrk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

Well, would you die so that all of your loved ones could live?  It seems an obvious choice to me.  rk

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

Pondering a question like that post in the initial topic is, I think, an exercise in futility as the likelihood of such happening is zilch.

Now, an actual occurrence my father told me about.  I don't recall the location:

A man was driving down a narrow road on a mountain.  Suddenly, there was a group of people with their animals in front of him.  To one side, is the rising mountain, to the other side, is the drop off.  His choice in that instant was to stay on the road.  The result, several of not all those people and animals were killed.

In the law courts,  the verdict was that the man was innocent of murder as he wasn't required to sacrifice his life to avoid harming those other people.

Dad and I talked about that for some time, and we both came to the conclusion that we'd prefer to save those people but didn't know if we'd actually drive off the road in order to do so.

When it comes to a choice like that, no matter what decision is made, people are going to suffer hurt.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users