Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copy a whole hard drive onto a USB drive?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nullmodem

nullmodem

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hi! I need to make an exact copy of a hard drive onto a USB drive but I don't know how! If I need some kind of special software it has to run on Windows 98 or DOS.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

Clonezilla is a partition and disk imaging/cloning program similar to True Image® or Norton Ghost®. It helps you to do system deployment, bare metal backup and recovery. Two types of Clonezilla are available, Clonezilla live and Clonezilla SE (server edition). Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and restore. While Clonezilla SE is for massive deployment, it can clone many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously. Clonezilla saves and restores only used blocks in the harddisk. This increases the clone efficiency. With some high-end hardware in a 42-node cluster, a multicast restoring at rate 8 GB/min was reported.

http://clonezilla.org/

That is 1 of the progs that will do it.

http://youtu.be/HJK3i1Ruw64

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 nullmodem

nullmodem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

Ok I'm having problems with clonezilla... First I downloaded clonezilla amd64 and it said I need the i686 version (the computer has a Pentium II cpu) So I tried the i686 but it gets stuck on a black screen with text. Same thing with the i486 version... What do I do?

Here's what appears on the screen--

Attached File  DSC00395mbnmhjknmhj.JPG   126.37KB   0 downloads

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,035 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Download the i386 version of clonezilla. Your computer may not support the i486 version. I do not know how old the computer is.

In the dropdown box select i386.

http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=alternative

#5 nullmodem

nullmodem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

i386 doesn't work either sooo.. Any other software which can do this? That's weird because this computer really isn't that old and it's pretty powerful (266 MHz PII and 96Mb of RAM and the computer is from 1997,98)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,035 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

You can get the last free version of Parted Magic that includes Clonezilla. Another option is to do the command in a terminal window of a linux distro, hopefully one that will boot on your computer like Puppy, and use the dd command to write the data to the USB flash drive.

One question, are you trying to copy an image file to the USB flash drive? Because that is what clonezilla will do if you select image. You will not be able to work with these image files that Clonezilla puts on the flash drive other than to restore them to the hard drive. Or, are you looking to put an exact clone of the hard drive onto the USB flash drive so you can see the files on the USB flash drive exactly as they appear on the hard drive. Then you would use the Clonezilla clone feature. Be very careful you do not choose the wrong disks or you could clone the blank USB flash drive to your hard drive.

Edit: I think your problem is the amount of RAM you have. 96 MB is not enough. Parted Magic I believe will let you run the program from disk at startup but I am not sure that will even work with that amout of RAM. If Parted Magic does not work or after that Puppy. There are other small distros of linux that may work for you like Damn Small Linux.  Try Parted Magic first and if that does not work we can go from there.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 April 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#7 nullmodem

nullmodem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

Thank you so much you were right the problem was the amount of RAM so instead of having one stick of 64Mb of RAM and one of 32Mb I put two stick of 128Mb to make 256Mb and it worked perfectly! Thank you!

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

Seems most have forgotten Xcopy, a little reading and typing you get a clean exact copy with no worries about ram.  It takes the worry of possibly down loading somethings you don't want, it is 100% free and is flawless.  Link with full explanation below!

http://www.computerhope.com/xcopyhlp.htm

Edited by OldPhil, 06 April 2014 - 08:32 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 starrouter

starrouter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

Like OldPhil, I would try Xcopy as well.  Macrium Reflect Free Edition would also work if you need to have an image of the hard drive to reload on another hard drive.  It may even have an option to do a direct copy of one drive to another.  If your computer is too old, you may have to remove your source hard drive and connect it into a newer machine running a newer OS and clone it from there.

Edited by starrouter, 15 November 2014 - 05:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users