Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to SSD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jhale316

jhale316

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

I have a Gateway NE71B10u model EG70 laptop and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be compatible with a Samsung 840EVO 2.5" 750GB SATA III SSD. I tried talking to gateway tech support, they couldn't tell me anything other than the original HDD was an SATA connection but couldn't tell me if it was a III or II connection. I've tried looking online to find out but can't find a thing so I was hoping that one of the tech pros on here could give me some advice. I'd really love to speed this pos up. Also it says that it comes with 6GB of ram installed but when I go to the information screen it tells me that I have less than 2GB available, is win8 that much of a ram hog or is it possible that I have a bad stick of ram? Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

Check your resource monitor and see which processes are eating up your memory.

I'd Just Go ahead with ssd upgrade since sata 6 is backwards compatible with sata 3 so it should work only just not as fast ( I think your laptop is sata 3)

but faster than your old HDD

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:26 AM

I tried talking to gateway tech support, they couldn't tell me anything other than the original HDD was an SATA connection but couldn't tell me if it was a III or II connection.

Wow remind me never to get anything Gateway if that's the case.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 April 2014 - 01:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users