Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power outage during chkdsk; now computer seems dead

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wblesther

Wblesther

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Specs: 

Gigabyte LGA 775 board - I forget the model

Q9300

4GB DDR2

Sapphire Radeon HD 5770

Seagate 2TB HDD

Cooler Master Cosmos I

I suspected some hard drive issues on my friend's computer and ran chkdsk. There was a power failure while the utility seemed stuck at 27% for all eternity, and now the computer won't produce any image on the monitor (which I have tested on other devices) or sound on the speakers (also tested) when it boots. I have since tested the old hard drive (it does have problems) and put in a new one, but the same issue remains. I also tried different SATA cables and SATA ports.

I have a slight suspicion it could be the video card, but I don't have a spare on hand. Does the computer still think it's running chkdsk? Any other things I can do on my end?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

Does the computer still think it's running chkdsk?

No. 

Any other things I can do on my end?

Remove all expansion cards. Disconnect all drives. Basically only have the minimum things connected that are needed for the motherboard to POST: usually motherboard, RAM, and CPU. If the computer won't POST at all when the minimum hardware is connected then try connecting a different power supply. Alternatively, the computer might start POSTing again. If the motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics and it does have a little speaker plugged in to it someplace on the board (usually near the headers for the front panel) then you should hear some POST error beeps that indicate no graphics system was found. If you hear the error beeps then at least you know the motherboard performed a POST which would be better than what you're seeing now. After POST starts working, shutdown the computer, and start reconnecting drives and cards. Try one or two things at first, power on the computer and watch if it POSTS ok again. If the POST doesn't happen then you'll know one of the things you reconnected may be the problem. Notice I stated may be the problem. The piece of hardware might actually be ok but the power supply isn't functioning like it did before the power outage and might have trouble only after adding a certain part. If you figure out what card or drive is causing the computer to not POST I recommend trying the card/drive in a different computer to see if it still causes problems. If it works ok then probably the power supply is the real problem. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

This would not be a hardware problem, it would be with Windows.

The best solution for this that I've tried is to do a Refresh.

I'm short on time, NCAA final four begins in two minutes...  I'm watching that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:17 AM

Wblesther,

Did you find a solution? I'm curious.

dc3,

I didn't think the problem was Windows because Wblesther described no kind of image showing on the monitor. I understood that to include no motherboard manufacturer logo and no POST messages after switching on the computer. If my understanding is correct then I expect Wblesther won't have a chance to boot from any media to reinstall or repair the operating system and won't have a chance to use any of Windows 8's recovery options. However, I guess Windows 8 could have done something wonky to the BIOS that would stop the computer from POSTing like it should. I'm less familiar with Windows 8 compared to other versions of Windows. Maybe Wblesther didn't mention that the computer actually does POST and he really meant that no Windows 8 related image appears on the screen.

#5 Wblesther

Wblesther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Wblesther,

Did you find a solution? I'm curious.

Sorry for the late reply; after getting a spare video card, it turns out the video card had some weird issue that was not immediately apparent. Thanks all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users