Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting windows 7 problems- Acer 5741

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Abitawheat

Abitawheat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

I’ve searched quite extensively and have not been able to find somebody with a situation like this. Here we go….. computer is acer aspire 5741 with windows 7 (64 bit). my dad send me this computer to try and fix and he hasn’t been very helpful with how the computer got to this point. All I want to do is install a fresh copy of windows.

I have the 1 acer system disc as well as the 3 acer system restore discs. I turn on the computer (without a disc in the drive) and I get a screen that says: “PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable”, PXE-M0F: Exiting broadcom PXE ROM”, “BOOTMGR is missing”, Press control alt delete to restart.

With the system disc in the drive it loads the files needed to begin an install of windows and brings me to the point of choosing one of three options : restore to factory defaults,  restore to previous point and exit.  I choose factory defaults,  it then asks for disc one. I put it in , then after trying to find the disc it ejects it and says to insert disc one again.  

I don't understand why the dvd would pick up the system disc but not the restore disc. I have physically cleaned the restore disc but that didn't help.

Any directions would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

You don't need the disks, see Remarks By Doctor Inferno .

Louis

#3 Abitawheat

Abitawheat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

So, here’s where i’m at now….. I was able to load all three recovery discs and thought i was in the clear, then at what looked like the last step i get this error messge: IMG_20140405_010727040_zpsec05fb48.jpg

So now it looks like the majority of W7 is installed but when I restart the computer I get this:

IMG_20140405_011154561_zps2097791e.jpg

Uhhhh, now what to do?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

Have you tried to use the Recovery Partition?

The instructions provided by Doctor Inferno are correct.  If you wish to substantiate this a Acer International Call Center employee posted the following at this website.

My name is Ersan Ahmet and I work in Acer's national call centre in Sydney.

I have just come across your question with regard to the e-Recovery feature of your Acer Aspire 5741G, and from the problem you describe it appears there may be an issue with the recovery image/partition. You have rightly enabled D2D Recovery in the BIOS, as well as used the correct combination keys of Alt + F10 – it does not matter whether the left or right side keys are being used.

Manco10 may I please ask you to try resetting the BIOS to its default settings by pressing the F9 key, and then try disabling the Quiet Boot feature in the BIOS. Please then press the F10 key to save changes to the BIOS and try launching e-Recovery again by tapping both the Alt + F10 keys from when you see the Acer POST screen.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Abitawheat

Abitawheat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Have you tried to use the Recovery Partition?

The instructions provided by Doctor Inferno are correct.  If you wish to substantiate this a Acer International Call Center employee posted the following at this website.

My name is Ersan Ahmet and I work in Acer's national call centre in Sydney.

I have just come across your question with regard to the e-Recovery feature of your Acer Aspire 5741G, and from the problem you describe it appears there may be an issue with the recovery image/partition. You have rightly enabled D2D Recovery in the BIOS, as well as used the correct combination keys of Alt + F10 – it does not matter whether the left or right side keys are being used.

Manco10 may I please ask you to try resetting the BIOS to its default settings by pressing the F9 key, and then try disabling the Quiet Boot feature in the BIOS. Please then press the F10 key to save changes to the BIOS and try launching e-Recovery again by tapping both the Alt + F10 keys from when you see the Acer POST screen.

Thanks for the reply, Well i think i'm trying to boot to e-recovery. After turning on machine i get this(fyi I did turn off quiet boot):

IMG_20140405_120830834_zps45930fb0.jpg

Is there another way to get to the partition?  On one of the screens i noticed the C drive was about 450 gigs so i'm assuming something else is on there (i have a 500). 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

There is a bit of timing involved in accessing the recovery partition.  Doctor Inferno's instructions state that you need to press the Alt key and the F10 key together when you see the Acer BIOS screen.  Some refer to the BIOS screen as the Splash screen.  This may take several attempts to get the keys entered at the correct time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Abitawheat

Abitawheat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

There is a bit of timing involved in accessing the recovery partition.  Doctor Inferno's instructions state that you need to press the Alt key and the F10 key together when you see the Acer BIOS screen.  Some refer to the BIOS screen as the Splash screen.  This may take several attempts to get the keys entered at the correct time.

Okay, thanks to the folks at youtube i now understand a lot better. I got to this point by using e-recovery. I can only get to it by having my system disc installed. When i get to this screen:

Untitledacer_zpsfb1ce53d.png

If i go to option 2 user data one, it asks me for restore discs and repeats the process over again (the one i did when i did factory defaults). So it's an endless circle. 

If i were able to wipe hdd clean of everything would  i then be able to start over?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

If you have your data backed up, as you really should, do the first option Restore Operating System to Factory Defaults.

#9 Abitawheat

Abitawheat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

If you have your data backed up, as you really should, do the first option Restore Operating System to Factory Defaults.

Actually that's how i got to this point. This is the screen i get once the final steps arrive:

IMG_20140405_0107270401_zps03cd45ef.jpg

I just read a thread that had an acer tech suggest to somebody with very similar symptoms to reformat the HDD completely b/c there were some left over files (corrupted?) left over. 

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

If you format the entire hdd you will lose all the information on both partitions.

If you have the installation disc for this version of Windows you could wipe the hdd with a programs like Darik's Boot and Nuke.  This will completely overwrite the hdd.

You will need to go to the OEM's website and download all of the drivers for this computer, I would suggest doing this first and save them to a flash drive so you can install them immediately after you've reinstalled Windows.

#11 Abitawheat

Abitawheat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

I downloaded the W7 ISO and that has worked up until this point. THis is the screen i am stuck on: 

IMG_20140406_095032354_zps60598736.jpg

I have a system disc but not an "Install disc". Am i being asked for W7 drivers or acer ones? Are these W7 drivers on the ISO disc that I used to begin W7 install?? Thanks,

•  

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

The DVD/CD-ROM is a plug and play device, so these are native drivers in the Windows 7 operating system.

Click on the Start orb, type devmgmt.msc in thearch programs and files box.

devmgmt.msc will appear above the search box under Programs, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

In the Device Manager scroll down to DVD/CD-ROM drives and double click on it.

When this opens double click your optical drive.

Click on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver.

When you restart the computer the installation wizard will recognize the optical drive as new hardware and assign drivers for it.

#13 Abitawheat

Abitawheat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

The DVD/CD-ROM is a plug and play device, so these are native drivers in the Windows 7 operating system.

Click on the Start orb, type devmgmt.msc in thearch programs and files box.

devmgmt.msc will appear above the search box under Programs, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

In the Device Manager scroll down to DVD/CD-ROM drives and double click on it.

When this opens double click your optical drive.

Click on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver.

When you restart the computer the installation wizard will recognize the optical drive as new hardware and assign drivers for it.

Thanks for the input. But i've decided to wave the white flag and hire somebody. Just don't have the time.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users