Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd disc player won't eject disc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PossumNZ

PossumNZ

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hi All,

I have been given a desktop computer running Windows XP home edition which has a cd disc in the player and have been told the disc can't be ejected.

I haven't as yet started up the computer as need to locate a monitor so I can't be  sure if the disc hasn't been tried to be ejected from My Computer.

The previous owner not an experienced computer user had gone out and brought a external cd player so maybe the problem is with the player.

Any special methods members could recommend please that might eject the disc? 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hi, somewhere on the front panel of the disk drive drawer you should find a very small hole. If you obtain an ordinary paper clip and straighten it out, you then push that through the hole which releases the drawer lock enough for it to be pulled the rest of the way out.

In fact if you buy a new drive the manufacturers quite often supply a long release pin which is around the same size as a paper clip wire. If that turns out to be the only way of removing or closing the drawer, either the drive motor for it is duff, or the gears have stripped the teeth.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

No gears it is similar to an O ring rides on two pulleys, they dry out and snap.  Not worth fixing to much trouble pulling apart plus drives are dirt cheap.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Both of the above are correct...as Phil says, it's usually a sign that the optical drive needs to be replaced (which is easily done at today's prices).

If the CD/DVD inside is not properly seated...it can prevent the eject mechanism from functioning properlly...so make sure that the disk inside is properly seated in place before trying to eject it.

Louis

#5 PossumNZ

PossumNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thanks guys for you help and suggestions. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users