Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extended Desktop Configuration Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Okay - I'm having an issue with trying to configure two LCD monitors to run as an Extended Desktop display. Here's the situation:

You can see from my GPUs (HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit) that each one has one HDMI port, two mini display ports, and two DVI (1 single link, 1 dual link), ports.

My monitors: Main: HP w2338h Wide LCD Monitor. Second: Dell 1908WFP(Digital).

The HP monitor has two input ports: One analog VGA, and one HDMI.

The Dell monitor has two input ports: One analog VGA, and one DVI-D.

It does not matter how I configure the cabling on these monitors. There are only two ways that I can get both to actually display at the same time. One, I select "Extend these displays" from the "Multiple displays" dropdown in Control Panel>Display>Screen Resolution. However, this does not actually extend the desktop. The only function that it has is to display my desktop wallpaper. I'm unable to move anything from one monitor to the other. Two, I select "Duplicate these displays" from the same dropdown menu. While this displays working windows on both monitors, it's kind of pointless to me to be running the same tasks in two monitors. The whole point is trying to expand my work area.

I'm currently using the VGA input on the HP monitor, and the DVI-D input on the Dell.

Can anyone help with this?

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Not sure if it will help but check your AMD Catalyst Control Center. It should be under Desktop management. If you want the desktop to be across both monitors so one window opened would expand over both monitors AMD has Eyefinity.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/eyefinity-vs-extended-desktop.148962/

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/8/how-to-setup-and-configure-amd-eyefinity-multi-display-technology/index.html

http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/product/ATI_Eyefinity_Setup.pdf (see page 6)

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 April 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

Just a guess, but I'd say that the monitors aren't on your desk as they are being displayed on the Screen Resolution page.  If you're seeing the wall paper on both you should be fine.  Press the Identify button.  Then compare to how you see them on the Screen Resolution page.  If there don't match drag and drop one of the monitors so that they do.  Then your cursor should flow from one to the other.

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

Interesting... From the links you provided, I'm guessing that AMD's Eyefinity doesn't create the old school extended desktop. What it does is trick Windows into seeing the two monitors as one very large monitor. This would be fine, except that the Dell monitor has a resolution of 1440x900, and the HP monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080 - which means that one of the monitors will always be at less than optimum resolution. What I'm actually trying to do is set them up so that, for example, I can open one browser window, drag it to one monitor and display it at full screen, then open another window and view it at fuill screen. In other words, I just want the ability to drag items from one monitor to the other. I'm not sure if there is a way to do this - I seem to remember that in the past, this could be done. I'm also wondering if the different inputs might have something to do with my having problems with this.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 04 April 2014 - 08:59 PM.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,205 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Different inputs may be a possibility. In the Catalyst Control Panel there is a section called Desktop Management > Creating and arranging Desktops. There is a detect displays button.  I believe it is there where you set up the 2 multiple monitors. Does it show them? Once you have both monitors side by side, then try extended desktop in Control Panel.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 April 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

JohnC, that worked perfectly, with no loss of resolution on either monitor. Thanks so much - sometimes I fee like such a n00b!! :D

Snowden03.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,205 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

Your Welcome, I am glad it worked for you. :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users