Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error During Startup

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 eghmf8o

eghmf8o

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:25 PM

Cumputer receive error missing or corrupt windows/system32/config/system file. Would like to know how tho recover from this error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:39 PM

Well first of all we do need a correct error message so we know what system file. Also a little bit of stats on your system like processor, amount of Ram, hard drive capacity and free space make and model of your computer - as much as you can get to us. An explanation of what is going on when this happens if there are anything strange going on, if you can tell.

#3 eghmf8o

eghmf8o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:42 PM

The error is received during initial startup (boot). I never get Windows.

#4 eghmf8o

eghmf8o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:48 PM

The machine had been working fine. While I was away (trip). The machine began to constantly re-boot. My wife than turned the machine off. When I returned I turned the machine back on and this is the error that is given.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:48 PM

Plese try this Go to Safe Mode and try to use the system restore and restore your computer to about three days before this started. When it is finished exit out of Safe Mode and reboot normally.

#6 eghmf8o

eghmf8o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

What is the key sequence to get to safe mode?

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

When booting press the F8 key several time and you will get a black screen with white lettering on it. Then use the arrow keys to scroll to Safe Mode and when highlighted press the enter key. It takes a few moments to log into the Safe Mode and it does not load all of the drivers for a lot of devices so do not worry.

#8 eghmf8o

eghmf8o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

Have tried getting into safe mode. Machine does not respond. just reboots again.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:03 PM

Another idea is to run System Restore at the command prompt.

Often computers that won't boot into real or safe modes will boot into safe mode with a command prompt. If yours will:

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

More info can be found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 eghmf8o

eghmf8o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

This would be great but the system does not give me a menu to chose from. So I am not able to select safe mode with command prompt. It just reboots. Sorry for not being clear.

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

Do you hear any beeps when your computer is starting up?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#12 eghmf8o

eghmf8o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:16 PM

Yes, I see where it checks memory and finds the drives.

Lately, the system has started to register the F* and let me attempt safe mode but again it gives me the same error message - Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32|CONFIG\SYSTEM

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

Ok. The first thing to do is to remove any and all expansion cards from the PCI slots in the motherboard (such as modems). Then try to reboot. Let us know if any improvement.

Next, try the ideas found in THIS article. Let us know if you have any questions, because the article was written assuming the reader was a computer tech. We would be happy to walk you through it.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 18 May 2006 - 06:39 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#14 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:40 PM

Ok Here is the fix for your problem:

Start your computer by using the Windows Setup floppy disks or the Windows CD-ROM. At the

"Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press R to repair, and start the Windows Recovery

Console. From here do something like the following. Or if the file system is FAT32 you can use a Win98 bootdisk to do this. www.bootdisk.com

copy c:\windows\repair\SYSTEM C:\Windows\system32\config\

This will replace the registry hive to the last time that hive was bacped up. Hopefully you didn't backup the registry at the time the problems started to happen.

I would suggest to first backup or rename the SYSTEM hive from the C:\Windows\system32\config\ to folder of your making or choice just don't back them up to the C:\Windows\repair\RegBack\ folder.

You will probably need to reapply any services patches that you have previously installed.

#15 eghmf8o

eghmf8o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:57 AM

Thank you all for your assistance on this issue, but so far nothing has worked. So I have decided to just get the drive running again so I may get my data.

In doing this I grabbed an old hard drive (80gig) and initialized the drive by installing Windows XP Pro w/Service Pack 2. Upon the machine rebooting to complete the installation, it receives error corrupt or missing ntldr. I have done this numerous times. Used a different machine and all works well. Tried a new cable for the hard drive still does not work. Have reset the BIOS, still failed.

Any ideas what is wrong with the machine, possible motherboard issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users