Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

teamviewer vs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

I live in Arkansas and my mom lives in Massachusetts.  Quite often she needs a little computer help.  Most of the time I either try to help her over the phone or I just mess with it while I'm visiting.  She just got a new computer and is having some trouble.  I am much better at figuring things out looking at them myself than just trying to go off of email descriptions.  Easiest way will be for me to have control over her computer.  I know you can use team viewer and I've also heard about remote assistance.  I'm trying to figure out what will be the best, easiest, and/or safest way for me to do this.  I want to be able to open and close things, download, etc. 
One other thing to keep in mind is... she has a windows 8 machine, I have windows 7.  I don't know if that limits the options. 

Just looking for a few thoughts on the matter.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

i use teamviewer. i have never had an issue with it. The only annoying thing sometimes is when you reboot in safe mode or vice versa  that you need the code off her teamviewer to log in again as it may have changed. other than that i like it

#3 b0bl335wa993r

b0bl335wa993r

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

I live in Arkansas and my mom lives in Massachusetts.  Quite often she needs a little computer help.  Most of the time I either try to help her over the phone or I just mess with it while I'm visiting.  She just got a new computer and is having some trouble.  I am much better at figuring things out looking at them myself than just trying to go off of email descriptions.  Easiest way will be for me to have control over her computer.  I know you can use team viewer and I've also heard about remote assistance.  I'm trying to figure out what will be the best, easiest, and/or safest way for me to do this.  I want to be able to open and close things, download, etc. 
One other thing to keep in mind is... she has a windows 8 machine, I have windows 7.  I don't know if that limits the options. 

Just looking for a few thoughts on the matter.  Thanks.

Hi Millepede,

You can use Teamviewer for personal use for free. It's hassle free for doing all that stuff you mentioned. Even if you reboot in a safe mode as noted by a member above, you could call your mom and ask her to read out the ID of the teamviewer and connect with no problems. There are many other screen sharing free options I could mention but they won't help about all the stuff you mentioned. Teamviewer is better to go with. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users