Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home with SP 3

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I am still operating an old windows xp system with sp3 and I have Microsoft Security Exchange as my virus program. As we all know, updates will be unavailable for windows xp after April 8th 2014. MSE will still be available for updates until July, 2024. Can anyone recommend another good free antivirus program besides AVG. I never had good luck with AVG Antivirus. What should the xp users do? Should we disconnect our computers from the internet, or am I being paranoid on this. I would like to hear from some of you what we xp users should do. I do have two others computers, one with vista and one with windows 7. I like the XP operating system the best and that is why I hate to give it up. Maybe it is time for me to go to a Mac computer instead. At least I wouldn't have to worry about all the viruses as much. Thanks for any comments.

Edited by hamluis, 04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Surely you've read the pinned topics ' End Of Support For Windows XP SP3 is April 8, 2014'. and 'With XP ending, what are your alternatives?' in the Windows XP Home and Professional Forum.

I thought MSE was finished in 2015 ?

Having said that, Avast Antivirus will be supporting WinXP for another three years, apparently.

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Petewills, yes! I have known that support for windows XP will end on April 8, 2014. I was just curious as to what other people would do that still has XP; take it off line, or take a chance and continue to use it. My mistake on MSE. You are right, that continues on into 2015. Thanks for your reply.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

Too bad you have Home and not Professional. Windows XP Professional has Software Restriction Policies (SRP).

That's a good tool to harden your machine. There is a guide on how to get SRP to work on Home edition, but I don't know how reliable it is.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

If you don't already do it, start to use a LUA account (Least-privilege User Account): create a new account on your XP machine and don't give it admin rights.

Use this account for your normal use.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

...April is looming and those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution
#2: Get a Firewall That Supports Multiple Subnets & VLANs
#3: Virtually Freeze your XP PC with DeepFreeze
#4: Make Sure All Latest Windows Updates Are Installed
#5: Use Secunia PSI to Inspect your Third Party App Footprint
#6: Ditch Internet Explorer; Move to Chrome or Firefox
#7: Don't Need Internet on Your XP PC? Cut the Cord!
#8: Ditch the 'Ole Whitebox: Virtualize your XP PC on VirtualBox or Hyper-V
#9: Switch to a Limited User Account, as Rights can Kill
#10: Use DNS Filtering From OpenDNS or Norton DNS

Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Quietman7, this sounds like a lot of work to me. I may just ditch my XP machine and start using my Vista or windows 7 computer. I have never heard of half the things you mentioned in your post. My XP machine is ten years old so it does not owe me anything. I can put it away and use my Vista until 2017 and than we have to start all over again. I also have a machine with windows 7 so I am in good shape. I will consider the things you mentioned. Thank you very much.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

The recommendations from the link I provided are proactive security tightening tips more for those who do not have any other alternatives...XP is all they have.

I too have an old XP machine but like you, I will be using my Windows 7 when going on line. I still will use my XP for other things when offline.

#9 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

Quietman7, in your opinion, what is the best all around antivirus would you recommend? How about Malwarebytes (mbam) that is recommended on this website? I will get the paid version.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

Thus, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware program...together they provide the most comprehensive protection.

I have avast free on my XP machine. I most likely will be replacing it with ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus...it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources.

You may want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users