Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help required with BIOS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 exophrenik

exophrenik

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hello, yesterday i purchased an ASUS X551MA laptop, which came with a preinstalled version of Windows 8

My problem is that i want to install Windows 7 on the laptop and get rid of Windows 8 but i am not able to make the computer boot from the DVD.

After searching in the web for a while i found out that i need to disable Fast Boot, and Secure Boot on my laptop BIOS and also enable launch CSM, yet the is no Launch CSM option anywhere on my laptop's BIOS. Is this some kind of a bug or simply my laptop doest not have this option?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

The BIOS Function Key should be in your user manual.

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#3 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

According to the manual the Launch CSM option should be below the Fast Boot option in the BIOS setup. Is your laptop's BIOS up to date? Updating the BIOS may help if that option was left out of the BIOS version you have now. However, there's some risk that a BIOS update will fail and the laptop won't be usable. Some newer computers have ways of recovering from a failed BIOS update. I'm not sure if your laptop can do that.

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

You should read this post, which suggests that you cannot downgrade this particular laptop to Windows 7.

#5 exophrenik

exophrenik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the answears

You should read this post, which suggests that you cannot downgrade this particular laptop to Windows 7.

Yes this guy has exactly my problem and i guess if try to do the UEFI Windows 7 USB ill get the same hanging. Really bad luck and I'm pretty sure I wont even be able to return the laptop for another one since i have already opened the package etc damn...

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

Depends on where you bought it!  Big box stores are usually pretty good on returns for another model!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users