Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avastclear.exe disabled my PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zuum1950

Zuum1950

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

(Windows 8.1 desktop PC) When Avast antivirus was preventing my PC from connecting to the internet AND blocking other devices (e.g. android tablet by disabling networking) also, I decided to uninstall, but that left lots of remnants including many notifications from Avast. So I downloaded avastclear to clean it up. When I right clicked on it to run as administrator, a pop-up said it had to be run in safe mode, which I knew, so I clicked on the couple of pop-ups to verify that I did indeed want the computer to restart in safe mode and run avastclear. So the PC shut down and never rebooted. The power went on and the disk light blinked for a while, but nothing showed up on the monitor - it just had the light on the bezel that blinked like when the PC is in sleep mode, with nothing showing on the screen at all. I waited for quite a while for something else to happen, then shut off with power button and restarted. I've done this several times with the same result. The PC also shuts down entirely if I use the sleep mode key on the keyboard. I've tried restarting with the recovery disk or a fresh W8 installation disk, but get the same no-boot-up result. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

If you can boot up into safe mode. (F8 usually) install Advance System Care Pro (free verison) there is a uninstaller tool with it. use that to uninstall Avast, Use the power scan after if uninstall and the will take away any registrys left behind

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#3 Zuum1950

Zuum1950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

You must not be reading my post correctly... or I didn't describe it well.  The computer is disabled (or so I thought, read on) and so what you describe could not be done. 

Overnight, I was wondering if it was a problem with the monitor and thought I might try hooking up a different monitor. As it turns out, that was sort of the problem, but I didn't have to hook up a different monitor. My HDTV is connected to the PC so I tried turning it on when I started the PC this morning. The monitor still was just blinking like the PC was in sleep mode, but lo and behold, everything displayed on my TV. So I logged in, finished the uninstall of Avast, the computer restarted and now everything is hunky dory.  Who'd a-think it?! There must be something in the software somewhere that would only allow one display to show and for some reason had decided (against my setting choice) that the TV was the prime monitor instead of the usual one.

I hope this help someone else!

By the way, I already had Advanced System Care and had run it (as well as the included Power Uninstall option) and it didn't remove the Avast files.

#4 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

Zuum1950, Im glad its fixed for you. Yea sorry I thought you were booting up and just getting a black screen. that's disappointing about ASC there usually pretty good

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of registry cleaners or system optimizers ....eg, advanced system care

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2853053

A good removal tool is Revo Uninstaller

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/2008/04/29/completely-uninstall-programs-and-more-with-revo-uninstaller/

The portable version of Revo comes well recommended.

For a Temp file cleaner   TFC does the job quietly and safely.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

Thanks Condobloke, interesting read and will give Revo ago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users