Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard and CPU not reporting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ITGeekGirl

ITGeekGirl

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

So I'm not a server 2008 gal. I know how  to use it, but I'm still learning everything else. One of our servers (the one used for brandwise reporting) is not working. You can see it on the network, and I've actually logged onto the thing, but our sales reps cannot upload sales info to it. 

Also - when you look at the basic information about the computer, the motherboard and cpu are reporting as N/A. Even though you can look into device manager and see the devices there. Also - I'm ON THE COMPUTER - so obviously the cpu and motherboard are working.

I guess I'm asking for ideas, because I'm just a meat'n'potatoes IT tech who's still wet behind the ears. I mostly do the little things. But my boss is stumped as well and that scares the bajeezus outta me.

My only theory is the motherboard is on it's way out the door and we are in the process of copying the HD to the virtual server.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

Can you give more information as to how users connect and upload to the server? Do they all share a folder that is mapped? Can you connect to the server shares from your network places? It could be something simple like a permission issue etc. Also is this server running DHCP or Active Directory?

Edited by zingo156, 04 April 2014 - 07:15 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 ITGeekGirl

ITGeekGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

They remote in - and I'm leaning toward hardware. Now it's not reporting anything else. It has no idea how much ram it has or anything else. Yet I'm logged onto the physical thing.

You can see the server but not connect to it. The only way to log in is to do it on the physical server.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

Definitely something strange going on, I wouldn't be certain it is hardware, it could be a virus or some other issue. Restart the server and go into the bios, see if everything is reported correctly there. If it is, it would seem to me the issue is more likely the server OS. You could also try a bootable version of linux if your server will allow booting from usb or disc. If the bios does not report correctly, you have a hardware level issue.

Edited by zingo156, 04 April 2014 - 07:29 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

What happens when you type msinfo32 into Run. Does the hardware display in the display tree? I would say its the WMI not reporting back to windows. Just a guess.

What do the event logs say in eventvwr.msc

Also goto services.msc (or open a dos prompt and type (wmic service get name, state, startmode)) in Run and make sure that all services with Automatic are actually running, then try and remote in to the box and see if that works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users