Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Links In E-mails

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 van1934

van1934

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:03 PM

hi everyone. its me again. i have a lot of questions it seems. i notice in many of the answers to members questions there are links you can click on and go to that link. my question is - how did you get that link in your message without url or http, etc. and is there a tutorial or place i can go to learn how to do this? thanks, van.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:27 PM

This topic, will show you how to use the code (BBCode), we use on this board:
BB Code Help, Choosing font, size,& color etc.

To make a clickable link, colored blue, use the code in this box, with your URL, and choice of what the link will say.
Here I used the word, Homepage, as the text displayed for the link to Bleeping Computer.
[URL=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com][COLOR=blue]Homepage[/COLOR][/URL]
Will give you this:
Homepage

Edited by tg1911, 18 May 2006 - 12:34 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 van1934

van1934
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

thanks tq1911. that was very helpful but it sure looks complicated. i guess you just have to try it out (bb code). [b] thanks [b]. let me know if this worked.van

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

but it sure looks complicated.

It might be a little daunting at first.

Nope that did not work and the reason it did not is because you have two opening tags and no closing tag. In other words this:
[b]thanks[b]
doesn't come out right, But this:
[b]thanks[/b]
comes out like:
thanks

you need a forward slash '/' in the closing tag for each command.

We have a test forum here at Bleeping Computer, it is fun to just experiment all you want with different ways to do things with the bb code there. It can be found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:29 PM

Hello van1934, One other thing you can do to learn about the email package you have and this goes for all of them. The best tutorial I have found actually for any program is: When the program is open.

Goto Help, then Contents and Index or the help for the particular product.

Sometime they will have a link setup to go on line for a tutorial.

You can Print whet you find for reference and actually the help areas are tons better than they where years ago. I save a ton of bucks now because I do not buy manuals.

Have a good one.

#6 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:08 PM

Your post title was "Adding links in emails" so you can do that in OE so.

Type what you prefer to call the link "click" or whatever in the body of your message
Highlight it
Click the hyperlink icon by the insert pic icon
Paste the link you copied into the URL box. Ok.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:23 PM

I'm using Firefox, so I have tabs to work with. When I find a site I want to link to, I first copy the web address by clicking on the text of the address so that it changes color and then right-click and choose "copy." Then, going back to the message in here that I want to link to, I type the words I want to be the link in a sentence, highlight them by dragging the mouse over them, the click the "link" icon in the compose screen. That's the one that looks like Planet Earth with a couple of chain links. I paste the address I've copied into the box by right-clicking and choosing paste, then click OK, and the text I've highlighted now is a link.

In most email programs, something similar can be done. There are two methods. First, you can go to the menus on top of the program and choose "insert" and then choose "link." Then you put in the text you want and paste or type in the URL. Then click OK. Or, the second method is as described above, first type the text you want, then click on "insert" and choose "link" and you only have to paste the link. Then when you click OK, the text is a link.

(Actually, I lied about right-clicking - I really use ctrl-c and ctrl-v to copy and paste.) :thumbsup:

#8 van1934

van1934
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:39 AM

thanks everyone for responding to my question. it is comforting to know there are knowledgeable people out there willing to help. van

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:59 PM

You can also just paste the web address of the page you want to link in the email, or here in the reply box.

In the case of this page it looks like this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/52990/adding-links-in-e-mails/

I actually prefer it this way because then I can see where I am being linked so I can decide if it is a site that I want to visit. Some sites are malicious and can infect your computer just by visiting them, so I really like to see what the address is - my personal opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users