Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stuck on a black screen with cursor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eggchengg

eggchengg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

good day friends from bleepingcomputer.com, i come to this forum to ask for assistance on my apu desktop. i have recently installed a gpu "hd 6450" on my apu desktop, installed a program to check my gpu info "cpu-z" and reconfigured my bios to allow me to perform a hybrid crossfire. after my reconfiguration on the bios my apu desktop booted and continued to perform well just untill it was stuck on a black screen and a white cursor. i have read many threads about this black screen and knew that this is maybe due to just 2 causes, either hardware issue or software issue.

i ask for your assistance in pointing where the problem could have started. i cannot pinpoint if my issue is wether hardware or software.

btw, i had this error message showing after my apu desktop tried to perform a disk scan "replacing invalid security id with default security id for file #####" and it started from 1 up to 100,000.

tried startup repair - failed
tried system restore - failed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Have you reverted back to you orginal BIOS setting and tryed just using the 'hd 6450'. I dout a crossfire like this would even give you any more preformace.

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

Did you use the recommended APU + GPU pairing from AMD website ?

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/dual-graphics#desktop

If you use a low end GPU compared to what your APU,  it may drag down the performance.

#4 eggchengg

eggchengg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

hello samx5 and romeo29

i restored my bios to default. its just my ignorance on apu+gpu hybrid crossfire that made me buy and test these units.

yes i have paired a recommended discrete graphics on my apu "a4-3400" which is a gpu "hd 6450".

update to my problem:
 i have tried the hard disk with issues on a different apu desktop and it still failed to boot and is just stuck on a black screen with white cursor. i also tried placing the hard disk with issue on a different apu desktop as a slave. it booted once and i managed to do a hdd scan on the affected hard disk via hdd tune, the results were awkward LOL. the hard disk with issues didnt failed has no bad sectors and isnt damaged meanwhile the other hard disk which is not the concern of this thread has 1 block damaged. anyways, after the scan has finished i tried to reboot the systems unit but to my surprise the systems unit wouldnt boot if the hard disk with issue is connected.

conclusion:

my hard disk with issue from the apu desktop has software issue i believe. i do not want to reformat it since i have important files stored in these hard disk. i can recuva it but i am scared that some files wont be recovered. i really hope that i can do a system restore or remove a software that causes this black screen. i would really appreciate your help.

thank you for your reply guys.

#5 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

its great you've sourced the issues eggchengg. I use Ontrack Data Recovery  and use a docking station to connent the drive, hope you get your data  

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#6 eggchengg

eggchengg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:22 AM

hello samx5

i wonder if i still have other options other than reformatting the hard disk?

#7 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

You could also try boot linux (knoppix) as a live disk and retrieve your data by going through the drive.  

The only other way I can think to recover the disk would be if you have make a system image of the drive to recover from.

Edited by SamX5, 06 April 2014 - 03:24 AM.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

If you connect your HDD to a different system and try to boot, and it fails with both hard disks, then problem may be inadequate power supply. The power supply may not be enough for 2 hard disks. This can also result in showing disk problems when you scan the hard disk. Also the SATA version must match the one supported by the motherboard. Also if motherboard is different model than the one you removed the hard disk from, then Windows will take a long time to identify and install the new hardware and it may not work.

You should boot from Windows 7 DVD and run chkdsk /R as explained here: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6565

If you think that hard is failing and you want to backup the files. Then you can use Puppy Linux on a bootable USB or CD. Boot from Pupply Linux, mount the hard disk partition and copy the important files to USB disk, external hard disk etc. http://en.kioskea.net/faq/12607-data-backup-when-windows-failed-to-boot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users