Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Backup Method And Which Disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 van1934

van1934

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:54 AM

i would like to do a full backup of my computer (windows xp sp2). it has a 120gb disk with about half of it free. there cd plus or minus - cd rw - dvd plus or minus, etc. disks available. my question is which one would you use to backup? also, do any of these have to be formatted and if so can this be done with windows xp home edition?and lastlly - is there a backup program that will tell me how many disks i will need to do the backup. thanks all, van

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:33 PM

Hello, I do not know where you got the CD+R I did not know they made them.

Ok If you have a DVD burner I would suggest using DVD's It does not matter whether they are plus or minus it is which ever your DVD burner supports.

There is a free backup program that is absolutely great and did I say it is free!

http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?27000000036770

winbackupfreedr.exe is the filename you will download. It backs up everything all of the files including those in use.

Have fun and enjoy.

#3 van1934

van1934
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:14 PM

thanks ThorXP. i downloaded the program and will check it out later. the disk size your refer to in my question was a mistake. thanks again. van

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:37 PM

With that much to backup, you're talking approx 15 dvd's.
Much more practical to backup to a secondary bootable drive.
It's double protection. When your original primary drive dies, and it will, you've already got another identical drive ready to go. Just food for thought :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 18 May 2006 - 01:40 PM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

With that much data to back-up, a second drive, whether internal or external, is the way to go. If you do it on cds or even dvds you will wind up using hundreds of them after a period of time because you won't have the capability to do incremental backups.

You can set your backups to be incremental (making changes or additions in only what changes) and automatic, either with the program that comes with Win XP or a separate program like Dantz Retrospect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users