Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive: Testdisk shows Structure: Bad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chibuche

chibuche

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:51 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, tried searching for similar issues on the forum and read a few posts, but nothing is exactly like my problem, so I hope I'm not repeating an existing post here.

Recently my external hard drive went "RAW" under Windows 8 (I think it was ejected without being safely removed). So I followed the steps in this tutorial http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/ (how to fix: external disk drive suddenly became raw).

I booted my computer using a Parted Magic usb stick and ran testdisk from terminal. Quick search showed a partition with no files, so I proceeded with Deeper search. Around 80% since the test started it began running really slow and it showed a read error. After a few hours the scan did eventually complete and it listed two NTFS partitions that looked identical, but none of them had any files. When I selected one of the partitions it showed "Structure:Bad" at the bottom of the screen.

Parted Magic's Mount can mount the drive, but shows 0 files, although it gives 132 gb free out of 919 gb, which is correct. The file manager also shows the drive, again not listing any files.

The hard drive in question is a 1 Tb Toshiba. When it was working, it was divided in two partitions - an 11gb HFS partition (I used it with a mac machine) and the rest (around 900 gigs) was an NTFS partition. I also tried connecting the hard drive with another cable and to a couple of other computers.

Any help with saving the files from the problematic drive will be much appreciated. Thank you. 

Edited by chibuche, 04 April 2014 - 01:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

If the disk has gone 'RAW' there a good chance you have lost the data. Try using TestDisk Recovery  or Ontrack Data Recovery

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#3 chibuche

chibuche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Thanks, SamX5. In fact, the drive turned out to be damaged, but some of the files are still readable.

After trying several times to mount the drive in Linux and Mac OS X, I finally ran chkdsk from Windows' Command Prompt. First there was no encouraging result, but after I repeated the chkdsk /f command 4-5 times, the drive showed up in Windows!

I spent most of the day copying files, the process is slow because the external drive freezes from time to time... but I was able to recover some 50% of the files so far....

#4 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

Awesome, Data recovery is a pain, but I hop you get your data back

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#5 beeper54

beeper54

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:24 AM

There are quite a few companies to choose from if you want data recovery though :)

Don't forget to back things up! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users