Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant install software with hard drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tplush

Tplush

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

I have a computer I am trying to install operating system on but I have run out of ideas. It is a hp pavilion 10 touchsmart 10z-e000 notebook. First off the hard drive went bad so I replaced it with a new one. Well there is no cd drive which makes it hard to use a windows 7 cd and when I go to the boot option menu it displays no options such as usb, cd drive etc. I have a external cd drive but of course it cannot read it without installing drivers. I have run out of things to try and need help please. I am pretty decent with computers but this one has me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

Which operating system do you want to install?

#3 Tplush

Tplush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

Windows 7. Or any that would work. I have a windows 7 cd that I was going to use just no way on installing it

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

Is the machine still running? What was the original OS?

these questions are important, I'm not being difficult...

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

You might see if the following links help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03684354&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=6488458#N596

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03489643&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=6488458#N1874

If neither of those links offer any help on using the Windows 7 disc you already have, you should be able to order a USB recovery drive from HP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=6488458#N103

#6 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

In the BIOS is there an option to enable USB?  It should be somthing like enable USB controllers

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#7 Tplush

Tplush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

Is the machine still running? What was the original OS?

these questions are important, I'm not being difficult...

I understand, yes the machine was still running. I put in the new hard drive and can access HP system test, BIOS. It books and comes to a black screen saying no OS installed. It previously had windows 8 installed

SamX5 I did not see an option to enable usb. That is what I have been trying to find.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

thinking...

you could always mount the HDD in another machine, install Linux, and then just transfer it back... You would have the drivers then to install Windows next to Linux from an external drive. There should be a way to install from USB though.

Have you contacted HP? They  may be able to help...

Edited by TsVk!, 04 April 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#9 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Yea I agree with TsVk!, cloning your old drive could be the best way of doing it, if there are no USB controller options

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#10 Tplush

Tplush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

I have an old Dell laptop that i could use to install linux from. Would that work? The hard drive I pulled out of the laptop with windows 7 installed for some reason would not boot up when put in the HP laptop. I have called HP and they are just giving me trouble. Would that work to install an operating system on the hard drive from another computer and then put it in another?

#11 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

You might get errors by doing that but as long as you have the drives on there for your port CD I dont see why you couldnt do a new install once you've have the drive back in the HP

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

I have an old Dell laptop that i could use to install linux from. Would that work? The hard drive I pulled out of the laptop with windows 7 installed for some reason would not boot up when put in the HP laptop. I have called HP and they are just giving me trouble. Would that work to install an operating system on the hard drive from another computer and then put it in another?

With Linux OS's.... very, very possible. Drivers are built in and not system dependent.

Try Mint... It's a great place to start from with Linux, very Windowsesque.

Download the Cinnamon release. (1st download links)

Come to the dark side. :wink:

edit: if you are not a gamer, you will never look back.

Edited by TsVk!, 04 April 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#13 Tplush

Tplush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

I installed unbuntu linux on a hard drive from another computer and when I plugged it in the HP it came to a black screen that said no operating system found. 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

You may have to disable SecureBoot and FastBoot in BIOS. I had a HP and I do not know if the options are similar to yours but under the Boot section in BIOS there is a listing called Boot Options. Highlight that with the arrow keys and press enter. You should see the options to boot from USB.

I do not have that much experience with linux but I can't understand how you can install linux on one computer and expect it to run when attached to a different computer. You cannot install Windows 7 on one computer and expect it to run on another if the hardware is different. You would run into driver conflicts.

Edit: How does one change the drivers on a linux installed on another computer after it is attached to a different computer. Seems difficult especially if there is a lot of different hardware between the two.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 April 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

The drivers on Linux are built in to the operating system, it is nothing like Windows. You can hot swap disks between machines, I have done it multiple times. You generally do not need to install drivers at all for Linux, whereas you need to install all drivers for Windows...

You are spot on the money there on disabling secure boot and/or fast boot. If the option exists turn off UEFI boot also. (it could be called that).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users