Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

router auto channel setting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cardinalfan1

cardinalfan1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:43 PM

I work for a internet provider and am getting frequent calls about dropped wifi. Most of these calls do not reflect a drop in the signal to the modem.  I am wondering about the router auto channel setting. I am under the impression that it automatically will change the channel in the 2.4 Ghz broadcast to another channel if it detects another networks interference on that same channel. If this is correct, does the current connection on the original channel drop after the channel is automatically changed by the router? Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

It seems that when a router switches it will disconnect all clients connected to it but they should all be set to connect automatically so it might disconnect for a sec then reconnect. you might notice if doing anything live but otherwise you shouldn't. 

I would look at their wireless connection settings that it's set to auto connect. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

Generally the router auto channel setting is only active at boot time. It also behaves poorly in most instances. Once the channel is "picked" the router will not change until next reboot. In the 802.11 WiFi protocols it is actually preferable to be on the same channel as another signal than on an adjacent channel, which is why experienced engineers will tell you to pick channels 1, 6, or 11 in the 2.4G band regardless of someone else using the channel. If two or more AP's are on the same channel they will "hear" each other at the MAC level and share the airspace more or less politely. If they are adjacent channels all you get is interference. Most router "auto select" routines just look for any unused channel, generally picking one between two used channels, which not only gives you lots of interference but introduces interference to the adjacent channels as well. 

As far as the drops, do you have multiple AP's using the same SSID ? Roaming on WiFI isn't seamless unless the equipment is specifically designed and implemented to support it. A client will drop when changing AP's under most circumstances. (Since you mentioned working for an ISP this isn't an unusual configuration for a wireless ISP.) If your ISP is a hardline (DSL, Cable, etc) ISP and the drops are at the client WiFi router I would check your DHCP logs. A common issue is that DHCP renews don't get to the DHCP server until the lease expires, which causes a drop, then gets renewed  and the service is restored. This is particularly common when the DHCP server is on a different IP subnet than the clients.

#4 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:35 PM

What is the brand of the device that's doing it?  I ask as i used to work from a cable company in the states, and now am doing dsl type work for another in Canada.  I'd look to see if they have the same modem / router as each other and go from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users