Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on Windows 7 Start Up repair loop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wutai12

Wutai12

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Hello this is quite a bothersome little error, let me explain to the best of my ability.

The Patient: A beautiful custom made computer: H61H2-M12 motherbaord, i5 intel processor, 2 DDR3 8gb ram, with a 1gb Nivida Driver and 500gb Seagate harddrive. Running on Windows 7  Professional if it matters.

The problem: My windows opens on the start up repair when the scan finishes (the scan that doesn't even last 2 seconds) it restats and begains again.

How it began: I do not know, I am  however leaning towards a corrupt Hard drive or a Virus (Hoping it is a virus because I really want to salvage the memory on the hard drive.) I left my computer on while I went to watch a movie when I came back the computer was off and the monitor was still on. When I turned it on it the screen froze and so I turned if off by holding on the power button. I waited 10 seconds and turned it on again and that is when the Start Up error began.

How I have tried to solve said problem: first I let it run its course after the fifth time I knew this was not going to get better. I procited to start the computer using the f8 options all of which did a really funny thing.

Safe Mode showed one line of text and then immidiatly to start up repair
Last good config also start up repair
My personal favorite Disable start up repair, took me to.... you guessed it right back to start up repair

I looked for other ways to start it up, so before the start up scan was iniciated I canceld it to recieve other options;

Startup Repair (would do nothing just restart it)
System Restore (Showed that there was no other check point to return to)
System Image Recovery (Also shows nothing doesn't even detect the DVD I have in the drive, which also happens to be the Image Recovery disk)
WIndows Memory Diagnostic ( does abosulty nothing)
Command Prompt is where I had more success I did a chkdsk on the C: dir it showed everything was ok yet I could not see the files it has in its directory using the dir. On the harddisk D: it show something like this

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.
Currupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover
Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

to this I responed with the chkdsk /r and the results were almost the same.

After this I gave in to it being a currupt disk until, I was about to re-install windows I saw a repair option as I opened it I found that the windows partition size was 0 normally this should have more. So I looked around and found this link which lead me to a great tool also presented here on bleeping computer the FRST tool. Now upon running this tool I realized a bunch of my files have disappeart and not just normal files, these where critical files that are used to start up windows the Software Hive files and a whole lot of system32 files.

I am now trying to find the files to restore them because well I want to keep the memory if at all possible but if not nuking the memory might be the fastest and easiest way.
Thanks to whom ever took the time to read all this and hope we can find a solution that doesn't involve memory loss. If you need to see the FRST report I will gladdly paste it if it is necessary. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:04 AM

hello and :welcome: to bleepingcomputer! A corrupt MFT could mean that the drive is bad, question for you is do you have any data on the drive that you would need to recover? If yes, we'll need to use a data recovery software to try and get data from the drive, if not we should run a hardware diagnostic to check if the drive is done or not. Create a cd/dvd on a working computer and Run a 'long test' with Seagate tools for dos using the below instruction

1. For writing it to a CD/DVD, follow this tutorial: Burn Disc Image - ISO or IMG file

2. For writing it to an USB pen drive, the easy way is to use Win32 Disk Imager | Free Development software downloads at SourceForge.net

notesmall1.png   Note
The downloaded ISO will not be written to the USB Pen Drive as it is. You need to alter the .iso file a bit to make it writable. Very little job is involved.
  • Download or install either 7-Zip (free) or WinRAR (not free).
  • Extract the downloaded .iso file.
  • Rename the SeaTools.ima to SeaTools.img.
  • Burn the SeaTools.img file using Win32 Disk Imager

3. Download and double click to execute it. Select teh USB device, and browse for the renamed .img image.

295603d1385812747-seatools-dos-windows-h

4. Double click on the image, when found.

295604d1385812776-seatools-dos-windows-h

5. Click on Write.

295605d1385812809-seatools-dos-windows-h

6. A Confirm Overwrite message will appear. Click yes.

295606d1385812925-seatools-dos-windows-h

7. See the progress bar for a few seconds and the image is written and ready to boot from.

PART - II: Booting from Seatools for DOS

1. Now it is to boot from the CD/DVD or USB. You may do it using two alternative ways.

• Enter into the BISO and change the BOOT order to CD (or USB) to first.
  • Use the BIOS Boot Menu Key to get the list of all possible devices to boot from. Select the CD (or USB) by using the scroll arrow keys and enter.

2. When on the GUI, at first a warning message will appear. Accept it by clicking on "I Accept".

295607d1385812980t-seatools-dos-windows-

Part - 3: Testing

There are three types of tests.

• Short Test;
  • Long Test; and
  • Acoustic Test.
295608d1385813043-seatools-dos-windows-h

For most of the cases, Short tests are enough. But if Short tests detect problems, Long tests are suggested.

infosmall1.png   Information
Long test has a mechanism to recover/repair some disc errors like BAD sectors. But the recovery/repair options work only for Seagate brand HDDs.

PART - IV: Results

Test results are of two types, in general.

1. Passed; and
  2. Failed with errors; which may yield two possible alternative ultimate outcomes.
    • Passed after repair
    • Failed after repair

1. If passed, its all good.

295609d1385813104t-seatools-dos-windows-

2. If the test result a failure, with bad sectors etc, it will suggest you to have a warranty replacement, with a supplied test code.

295610d1385813205t-seatools-dos-windows-

Click on "Done". It will supply you some options to repair the failures.

295611d1385813281t-seatools-dos-windows-

You need to opt for "Repair this one and all remaining".

2.(a) If repairs are successful, it will show a result as passed after repair. It is good, too.

295612d1385813351t-seatools-dos-windows-

2.(B) But if the repair is unsuccessful, then there is no way but try to back up your data and replace the disc.

295613d1385813385t-seatools-dos-windows-

Edited by acerts04, 04 April 2014 - 12:28 AM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#3 Wutai12

Wutai12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

Thank you for the replay, I forgot to mention I have the 64 bit but it shouldn't be to hard to find the version and yes I have a few projects I working on that are on that hard drive.

Edit: Ok I downloaded the files, changed the name and used the option to change it into a bootable file. However when I started the computer which was already set to detect the usb, then the dvd, and the hard drive last ignored the first two and went straight to the Harddrive starting up start up loop.... It did however start the windows diagnostic tool which did a quick scan and it appear to not have any erros.

Edited by Wutai12, 04 April 2014 - 03:29 AM.

#4 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Did you boot into your bios and change the boot order?

If you didn't, please do that first. If you did do that, click on the link in the first step of the guide i posted and burn the image to a cd rather than a usb.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#5 Wutai12

Wutai12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

I checked the boot order it is as follows first my USB then my DvD and finally my Hard drive. I think I might be the img file is there a way to execute it from the command promt?

#6 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Best thing for you to do is follow the guide to create Seagate tools on a cd/dvd and boot from that. It is important we check the health of the drive before doing anything further

#7 Wutai12

Wutai12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Ok I seem to have hit a bit of a dilema, I have tried the instructions to no avail I triple checked the boot options and it is set to boot from usb.

First I downloaded different versions of the programs above and went to the official seatool site and downloaded the most recent SeaTool Dos which came in ISO format. I exctrated that file into folder using winRAR. Found the file ima and changed it to img. Now using the file you pasted I ran the Win32Disk Image and it was successful without any problems. However when I boot the computer it still does not start or boot using the seatool so I thought it might be my usb...

I tried other steps to varify that my usb is being detected. I put a windows 7 iso as a bootable  USB in the slot and it did detect the USB withouth any complications. 

It was  here I was feeling adventurous I ran command promt which you instructed not to, and sorry in advanced, and to follow the guide which I did but it was not working. In the command promt form the windows 7 Iso I looked for my USB the one that had the Seatool and executed the exe files that it contained only to be given an error that said, This version is not executable verify if you have the 32 bit or the 64 bit...... 
So I wonder is there another option to check the disk.

Thanks again for all the help so far I feel we might be making progress. 

#8 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

I did not want you to use usb again, that is why i said burn the image to cd or dvd rather than usb. Do you have an optical drive to boot from a cd? If you do, then click this link to guide you in burning the image to a cd/dvd

1. For writing it to a CD/DVD, follow this tutorial: Burn Disc Image - ISO or IMG file

Once that is done, change your boot options to cd/dvd FIRST. Then follow the rest of the above tutorial disregarding ANYTHING about using a usb

#9 Wutai12

Wutai12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

I am terribly sorry for my ignorance and not going with a CD/DVD first... It's just I did not have a working DVD burner nor DVD at hand, but none the less I did the procedures and it did boot from the CD allowing me to run the scans. In the Short scan it came out as Passed, I soon after ran the Long scan and it too was Passed. Also I should mention I realized my power source had blown a few resisters and it was leaking I already replaced it but this could help as a means to solve the problem with my computer. Note that changing the Power Source did not help remove the Start Up error.

#10 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

No worries! Its good the drive passed, but a corrupt MFT can be a difficult issue. I recommend running TestDisk. Hopefully this can repair the MFT. Since you cant boot into windows you'll need to create a FreeDOS live cd. This is the link, instructions for download, creating the bootable disk, and execution are listed on the site.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Edited by acerts04, 04 April 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#11 Wutai12

Wutai12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

I am at wits end, I have scanning, analizing, and so much more and I just can't seem to get the HD to boot. So far here is what I have done using the TestDisk.
First, since my efforts to find a LiveCD version of it proved fruitless I grabbed another HD I had lying around and put that one as the primery HD, and the one in question as a secondary. Everytime I would enter windows it will do a scan of the other disk and end with an error saying Table Data or Table Section is currupt repair failed.
Once in windows 7(the version on the working HD) I would run the testdisk and then do all the scans and recovery options availible, Most ended with the same results others seem to have done something but would end up doing nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users