Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I hear my laptop turn on by itself or have I completely lost it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zimrid

Zimrid

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

Even if I forgot to push the power button and hold it down to shut my computer off, it should have gone into stand by and stayed there.   Several hours after I put it away it started making all the same noises as when I turn it on.  

I have heard this can be from a virus.   I ran virus and malware scans and they turned up nothing.   

This has never happened before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

Pushing the power button...is not the proper way to end a Windows episode.  The shutdown feature in Windows is what should be used to turn the system off.

System manufacturer and model?

Did you properly shut down the system...and later check to see if it powers on?

Louis

#3 Zimrid

Zimrid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

I have to admit that I was exhausted when I closed up my computer and do not remember which way I shut it down.  

I was still confused when I heard it running all by itself as if I had pushed the on button.  

I always thought if was supposed to go into standby and stay inactive when not in use.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

I don't use the standby power settings...I turn my systems on, they stay on until I go to bed (I turn them off before getting into bed).  I can't address how that works or doesn't work.

Louis

#5 Zimrid

Zimrid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

Now this same thing has happened on a new computer that I have. Ir turned on all by itself.    What is going on?   Even if a computer is on stand by and not shut down, it should not just turn on all by itself like it has a mind of its own.   Doesn't this mean it's infected? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users