Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Repair Company upgraded my computer to Mountain Lion

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

I had to have my hard drive replaced so I took in my Snow Leopard disks for use when they installed the new drive however when I picked it up and brought it home it now has Mountain Lion which is okay I guess but what happens if I need to repair and or re-install.   Should I contact the company who did the disk install?   I got it replaced last summer and just recently used disk utility and it seems I may need my disks to repair but I can't use Snow Leopard to repair Mountain Lion I assume?

I should have contacted the company right away but I'm good or bad depending on your viewpoint about putting things off. :nono:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

I had to have my hard drive replaced so I took in my Snow Leopard disks for use when they installed the new drive however when I picked it up and brought it home it now has Mountain Lion which is okay I guess but what happens if I need to repair and or re-install.   Should I contact the company who did the disk install?   I got it replaced last summer and just recently used disk utility and it seems I may need my disks to repair but I can't use Snow Leopard to repair Mountain Lion I assume?

I should have contacted the company right away but I'm good or bad depending on your viewpoint about putting things off. :nono:

When Mountain Lion gets installed, it creates a recovery partition on your hard drive. This in essence takes the place of the install/recovery discs for things repair or even re-install. This Apple document gives some details:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

The short of it is that you can hold down Command-R to boot to the recovery partition. Newer model Macs also have Internet Recovery for if the drive goes bad and you don't have a backup install disk of some sort. Command-R will get you to that as well if the recovery partition is not found AND your Mac supports it. If your Mac does not support it, then you would need to use Snow Leopard discs that came with your computer or that you bought separately (if you computer came with Leopard or even Tiger) to install Snow Leopard and then download Mountain Lion from the App Store and use that to then get you back to Mountain Lion.

And that is where you might have a problem. If that copy of Mountain Lion that they used to install on your Mac is not associated with your Apple ID that you use with the App Store (same Apple ID as you use for iTunes typically), then you will not be able to download it again without purchasing it yourself. The way to check this is open up the App Store, log in with your Apple ID, and check the "Purchases" list. If Mountain Lion does not show up, then they used a copy of Mountain Lion that is registered to some other Apple ID (i.e. maybe their account). If you do see Mountain Lion listed under "Purchases", then you should be able to download the install file to your computer and save it to a backup drive and/or use it to make a bootable install disk.

OTOH, if you don't want to use Mountain Lion, then you could boot off your Snow Leopard disc, wipe the hard drive, and then use the Snow Leopard disc to instal Snow Leopard.

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:18 AM

When Mountain Lion gets installed, it creates a recovery partition on your hard drive. This in essence takes the place of the install/recovery discs for things repair or even re-install. This Apple document gives some details:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

The short of it is that you can hold down Command-R to boot to the recovery partition. Newer model Macs also have Internet Recovery for if the drive goes bad and you don't have a backup install disk of some sort. Command-R will get you to that as well if the recovery partition is not found AND your Mac supports it. If your Mac does not support it, then you would need to use Snow Leopard discs that came with your computer or that you bought separately (if you computer came with Leopard or even Tiger) to install Snow Leopard and then download Mountain Lion from the App Store and use that to then get you back to Mountain Lion.

And that is where you might have a problem. If that copy of Mountain Lion that they used to install on your Mac is not associated with your Apple ID that you use with the App Store (same Apple ID as you use for iTunes typically), then you will not be able to download it again without purchasing it yourself. The way to check this is open up the App Store, log in with your Apple ID, and check the "Purchases" list. If Mountain Lion does not show up, then they used a copy of Mountain Lion that is registered to some other Apple ID (i.e. maybe their account). If you do see Mountain Lion listed under "Purchases", then you should be able to download the install file to your computer and save it to a backup drive and/or use it to make a bootable install disk.

OTOH, if you don't want to use Mountain Lion, then you could boot off your Snow Leopard disc, wipe the hard drive, and then use the Snow Leopard disc to instal Snow Leopard.

thanks for this very informative information it is most helpful.

Let me ask if I wipe the hard drive will it wipe out everything I have stored, I guess it would but I want to clarify is there a way to wipe out only the operating system.

My guess is that he used a mountain lion registered to someone else's computer but not for sure.    i like email as opposed to phone - maybe I will send an email asking about this issue of whether or not the mountain lion is officially mine.  

How do I know if my Mac is one of the newer ones you said had extra capability built in to deal with some of these issues?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:11 AM

thanks for this very informative information it is most helpful.

Let me ask if I wipe the hard drive will it wipe out everything I have stored, I guess it would but I want to clarify is there a way to wipe out only the operating system.

Yes, it will wipe out everything. If you were actually upgrade from an older OS to a newer OS, then there is an option to just overwrite the OS with the new OS (typically referred to as an "in-place upgrade"). Since you will be downgrading by installing an older OS version over a newer OS version (assuming you go this route), then you will need to do a clean install, which means wiping the hard drive of everything. So, if you decide to revert to Snow Leopard, you will want to backup any data you have on the drive.

My guess is that he used a mountain lion registered to someone else's computer but not for sure.    i like email as opposed to phone - maybe I will send an email asking about this issue of whether or not the mountain lion is officially mine.  

How do I know if my Mac is one of the newer ones you said had extra capability built in to deal with some of these issues?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904

The above link lists Mac that can have their firmware upgrade to support Internet Recovery. Any Mac model newer than those listed on that link should have it built-in without the firmware update.

In general, any Mac that shipped with Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks should come with Internet Recovery enabled. This is because as of Lion, Apple no longer shipped recovery optical discs or USB disks with the Mac. Those Macs shipped with a recovery partition and the Internet Recovery option (in case the drive bites the dust meaning the recovery partition is useless) instead of the separate recovery media. Some Macs that shipped with older OSs that were released a year or so before Lion was release we able to be "upgraded" to offer this ability. Those are the Macs on the list in the link above. If your Mac is older than what is shown on the list, then you cannot get Internet Recovery.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:01 AM

Thank you -- when next I get onto my Apple tomorrow I will find out which I am in - I think it was about that time (2011 or so that I got my new one so it could go either way) but I will check tomorrow and get it figure out with your links & info.

But just to be sure let me ask then it is not by the hard drive that makes the decision as to what works or not but by other components of the system?  

Edited by JayJax, 04 April 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

Thank you -- when next I get onto my Apple tomorrow I will find out which I am in - I think it was about that time (2011 or so that I got my new one so it could go either way) but I will check tomorrow and get it figure out with your links & info.

IF you select "About This Mac" from the Apple menu and then click on the "More Info…" button in the resulting window that appears, it will open the System Information application. It should list the model there.

But just to be sure let me ask then it is not by the hard drive that makes the decision as to what works or not but by other components of the system?

I honestly don't really understand your question. You might need to rephrase or expand the question some.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

IF you select "About This Mac" from the Apple menu and then click on the "More Info…" button in the resulting window that appears, it will open the System Information application. It should list the model there.

I honestly don't really understand your question. You might need to rephrase or expand the question some.

never mind - sorry - its a bit late and my mind temporarily shut down - I have it figured out thanks for your help.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

I am a PC guy!  I have several buddies with Apples, great machines no question.  They all drive near 40 miles to get to the local Apple store, I said to one that is nuts.  Then I found out why!!!  Nearly every thing is free except for parts plus free classes on everything you can imagine, reading some of the posts up here makes me wonder why some do not take advantage of the stores.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

I am a PC guy!  I have several buddies with Apples, great machines no question.  They all drive near 40 miles to get to the local Apple store, I said to one that is nuts.  Then I found out why!!!  Nearly every thing is free except for parts plus free classes on everything you can imagine, reading some of the posts up here makes me wonder why some do not take advantage of the stores.

Much different experience from mine - I find Apple wants to charge for everything.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

You have to wonder why it would be so different between two areas under the same company!  Might be worth an email to the higher ups asking why!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

Much different experience from mine - I find Apple wants to charge for everything.

I am curious, what do you "include" when you say "everything"?

Apple provides free support at Apple Stores, but of course, they don't actually repair things for free (unless it is covered by warranty). Frankly, I am not aware of ANY other computer company that offers that.

If you are talking phone support, then yes, they charge for phone support (once you are outside of the first 90 days of the purchase of the Mac), then that is fairly standard these days for most in the computer hardware and software business. The days of free phone support for most computer related products is largely over.

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Apple provides free support at Apple Stores, but of course, they don't actually repair things for free (unless it is covered by warranty). Frankly, I am not aware of ANY other computer company that offers that.

If you are talking phone support, then yes, they charge for phone support (once you are outside of the first 90 days of the purchase of the Mac), then that is fairly standard these days for most in the computer hardware and software business. The days of free phone support for most computer related products is largely over.

I mean everything.    There is nothing free unlike with Windows programs sometimes you get some free stuff.   They have no free stuff and even when you do you can't download it because they say your password is wrong.   Even though I faithfully write down the number, only with Apple, invariably they say its wrong and it turns into a huge issue to get a new one so unless its life-threatening I usually give up NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE.   I'm not talking about support btw.  I got a notice popping up all the time about an update I needed to download, I forget which program but when I tried to it asked me for my password and like I said, it got too ridiculous for words because in order to get another one or the update I had to give them my credit card number for something free.  I don't have a credit card and even if I did I wouldln't give it to them, its extortion.  There are other ways less sensitive of verifying who I am and I find it offensive and rude and unprofessional and suspicious that they demand something so sensitive.  There is a way around that apparently which I have the instructions to somewhere, I tried once but missed the link so I will have to try again sometime when I have time to waste.   It shouldnl't be so difficult to get a simple update and for that reason I have serious issues with Apple.   I've had problems with my computer they won't address you can't even talk to someone without being charged.    If I had it to do over again I would definitely not buy an Apple, the cost isn't worth what you get.

Edited by JayJax, 06 April 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

You have to wonder why it would be so different between two areas under the same company!  Might be worth an email to the higher ups asking why!

I did begin some correspondence with them on another issue which I quickly saw was going nowhere - their customer service concerns only apply if you haven't yet bought one of their products or if you have a service contract.    I admit my tolerance for frustration is low sometimes but as far as Apple is concerned I avoid dealing with them unless like I said its life-threatening.

Their products are not cheap but they give no consideration to anyone for having forked off the ticket price.   I assumed, wrongfully I now see, that they must have a very good product or why charge so much.   I figured a quality product would have quality customer service, again, a mistake on my part.

Edited by JayJax, 06 April 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

I mean everything.    There is nothing free unlike with Windows programs sometimes you get some free stuff.   They have no free stuff and even when you do you can't download it because they say your password is wrong.   Even though I faithfully write down the number, only with Apple, invariably they say its wrong and it turns into a huge issue to get a new one so unless its life-threatening I usually give up NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE.   I'm not talking about support btw.  I got a notice popping up all the time about an update I needed to download, I forget which program but when I tried to it asked me for my password and like I said, it got too ridiculous for words because in order to get another one or the update I had to give them my credit card number for something free.  I don't have a credit card and even if I did I wouldln't give it to them, its extortion.  There are other ways less sensitive of verifying who I am and I find it offensive and rude and unprofessional and suspicious that they demand something so sensitive.  There is a way around that apparently which I have the instructions to somewhere, I tried once but missed the link so I will have to try again sometime when I have time to waste.   It shouldnl't be so difficult to get a simple update and for that reason I have serious issues with Apple.

So, you are talking about the issues you had with the free Mavericks update then, correct? If so, I won't say anything beyond what I said in the other thread as it will likely be counterproductive.

If it is beyond the Mavericks issue, then I am still curious what specifically you mean? Are you talking about not getting free programs that usually come with most retail purchased Windows computers? If so, there are many people who HATE all that free software, which many refer to as "bloatware". Or are you talking about something else?

I've had problems with my computer they won't address you can't even talk to someone without being charged.    If I had it to do over again I would definitely not buy an Apple, the cost isn't worth what you get.

What specific problems?

As I have said, you should be able to take it an Apple Store (not an "authorized Apple repair center"…something completely different) for a free "Genius" appointment. If it is under warranty and the problem is hardware related (unless due to an accident), then they should fix it for free. Of course, if it is outside warranty, then you will have to pay to have it fixed (assuming hardware problem)…just as you would with ANY other computer company.

Even if it is software related, they will usually help you for free.

If they are not being helpful at that Apple Store, then it is a poorly run Apple Store.

The other reason for stating you specific problems is that we might be able to help you. If all you do is complain about it with generalized complaints and no details, then there is no way that we can help you.

#15 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

I mean everything.    There is nothing free unlike with Windows programs sometimes you get some free stuff.   They have no free stuff and even when you do you can't download it because they say your password is wrong.   Even though I faithfully write down the number, only with Apple, invariably they say its wrong and it turns into a huge issue to get a new one so unless its life-threatening I usually give up NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE.   I'm not talking about support btw.  I got a notice popping up all the time about an update I needed to download, I forget which program but when I tried to it asked me for my password and like I said, it got too ridiculous for words because in order to get another one or the update I had to give them my credit card number for something free.  I don't have a credit card and even if I did I wouldln't give it to them, its extortion.  There are other ways less sensitive of verifying who I am and I find it offensive and rude and unprofessional and suspicious that they demand something so sensitive.  There is a way around that apparently which I have the instructions to somewhere, I tried once but missed the link so I will have to try again sometime when I have time to waste.   It shouldnl't be so difficult to get a simple update and for that reason I have serious issues with Apple.

So, you are talking about the issues you had with the free Mavericks update then, correct? If so, I won't say anything beyond what I said in the other thread as it will likely be counterproductive.

If it is beyond the Mavericks issue, then I am still curious what specifically you mean? Are you talking about not getting free programs that usually come with most retail purchased Windows computers? If so, there are many people who HATE all that free software, which many refer to as "bloatware". Or are you talking about something else?

I've had problems with my computer they won't address you can't even talk to someone without being charged.    If I had it to do over again I would definitely not buy an Apple, the cost isn't worth what you get.

What specific problems?

As I have said, you should be able to take it an Apple Store (not an "authorized Apple repair center"…something completely different) for a free "Genius" appointment. If it is under warranty and the problem is hardware related (unless due to an accident), then they should fix it for free. Of course, if it is outside warranty, then you will have to pay to have it fixed (assuming hardware problem)…just as you would with ANY other computer company.

Even if it is software related, they will usually help you for free.

If they are not being helpful at that Apple Store, then it is a poorly run Apple Store.

The other reason for stating you specific problems is that we might be able to help you. If all you do is complain about it with generalized complaints and no details, then there is no way that we can help you.

Currently I have no pressing issues with Apple - my statements were about Apple in general.    Due to my Apple being DOA hard-drive-wise for a year I haven't tried to do much with it just lately since its back up and running.    I did feel that I got a raw deal as to the hard-drive replacement because they had a recall at the time which my computer was the correct model and time period but my disk was not made by the vendor whose disks they were replacing.    It seems they were replacing even if they were still up and going because problems MIGHT DEVELOP.    My computer had already proven it had a problem when the hard drive went out and it was barely out of new warranty so had not been used very often.    So they were replacing some hard drives that MIGHT go out and mine that DID go out was too bad so sad because not the correct brand.    I don't understand the reasoning behind that if there is a possibility of failure and they address it and yet a fait accompli in the same year and model gets no help.   One might go out mine did go out.   I have sinced replaced it but when I had my first Apple computer about 5 years ago, I have trouble recalling the specifics other than one - whatever was used to open a program to install did not seem to work well, it was difficult to use and they had another one but you had to buy it which to me seems rather petty after buying a $1200 computer that they would charge you for something like that.   And I am unhappy with my Apple i-tunes purchase, I would not do that again, its too difficult to deal with what you can and can't do and what you can and can't convert it too.    It's been a bigger pain to deal with keeping it up to date - somehow the program comes up missing something and has to be re-installed and the passwords are confusing because one is an Apple account and one is somthing else, maybe an I-tunes account I don't know but there are two and it was impossible to know which one they wanted - it seemed like it was always the other one and even though I wrote down the passwords they always said it was wrong a few months later.    And if you can't remember your name and/or your password you have to play guessing games to try to recover because they won't send you both at once and it gets very confusing.   I can't describe it all very well, its just that I do not think its me because I've never had this much trouble with any other Microsoft/Windows computer.   I've had problems with them but just computer issues.   It seems like I'm always getting hung up in my Apple trying to deal with some petty nuisance.   But they really did go too far, imo, asking for my credit card number to download an update (which I have still not downloaded because I don't want to get all tangled up in the password thing again.)   I got messages on my computer that a free update was available yet I couldn't download it for lack of a password AND my credit card number.   I think in this day and age with hackers and so forth it takes some balls, excuse me to demand a credit card number to verify who I am.    Everything with Apple is like pulling teeth - a big pain and hassle.

I appreciate you working with me on this - frankly I've forgotten what it was I was going to download on my Apple that I couldn't because it always seems to happen when there is some other time-limited stressful thing going on and then I procrastinate to get back to it because I don't want to get p.o. again all over.   As I recall there was a way around the credit card, maybe it was you who told me, but that I didn't see where to do that until I'd gone past and then I could never get it to go there again.   So I guess I just decided to let sleeping dogs lie basicly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users